View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:41 am

Bmoudy2012
Post  Post subject: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:01 pm
Nursery

Hello, I've been a convert since 11/1/2014- only one year. Most Mormons who leave the church have been members for many years. I feel stupid for even joining, as now I realize I was pressured into believing something I didn't really believe. I have several reasons for wanting to leave, but I wanted others opinions.

1) is one year two short of a time to make a decision to leave?
2) why is it so hard to let go and just leave!?

Thank you for your love and non-judgement.

Bec

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:41 pm
God of Poly-Folly

Hi Bec,
You have the fringed indicators that the Mormons might have found you about a year ago under duress or extremely distressed. That alone and by itself can make it not necessarily more difficult to leave, just that more understanding might be called for.

Take all the time that you may need, we're here for you and there will easily be other good resources we'll help you uncover.

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
........................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944

God of Poly-Folly Folly

Bmoudy2012
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:47 pm
Nursery

They found me while my toddler was finishing up his Cancer treatments. While I do feel I was touched by the Holy Spirit, and I have a testimony that God does things for a divine purpose, I cannot whole heartedly say "I know this church is true!" As they so often repeat. I can't do it anymore, try to convince myself that a doctrine is right when I know it's not.

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:01 pm
God of Poly-Folly

Bmoudy2012 wrote:
They found me while my toddler was finishing up his Cancer treatments. While I do feel I was touched by the Holy Spirit, and I have a testimony that God does things for a divine purpose, I cannot whole heartedly say "I know this church is true!" As they so often repeat. I can't do it anymore, try to convince myself that a doctrine is right when I know it's not.

Yeah, I get pretty good at this. The LDS will leverage cancer successes with their Joseph Smith club. And they do it convincingly.

Don't thank me though, give all credit to your higher power. ...and, the greatest thing ever to help streamline additional healing. Our informational hwy.

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}

God of Poly-Folly Folly

Bmoudy2012
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:13 pm
Nursery

So do you think it's unreasonable for me to want to quit the church after only a year? Yes I've been to temple but I never took out an endowment because I just didn't feel like it was right.

I've already been contacted by church members, but since I quit attending sacrament they've left me alone. I guess they just assume Im now inactive.

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:51 pm

I kind of envy you for figuring it out so quickly. It took me 30 years to finally leave and stay out. I just kept leaving and then going back again.

There's no shame in trying something and then discovering that it's just not for you. There are many things in life which are like that, although few which take as much time, money and commitment as the Mormon Church.

Bmoudy2012
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:02 pm
Nursery

I mean, I'm not saying the church didn't help me. It did. It helped me to discover that God loves me, through my faults, my hard times, and even the times when I was so angry with Him that I brushed him aside and cursed him out of my life.

Hence, the reason why I want OUT of this church. They preach family and love, but not acceptance. It is not the way it is. God loves everyone despite their choices, and ultimately it is up to us as mortals to put each and every choice in our life into an eternal perspective. If we use our agency and choose not to do that, then we will face our consequences individually, someday. The way that this church singles groups out, such as the gay community and the children of gay couples, and single moms who are pregnant (they pretty much force you to give the baby up to a temple worthy family) is just not right. God doesn't go down his checklist and say "nope, you're not good enough."

I just can't take it in my heart anymore, as it feels like they're teaching hate. I tried to reason with myself and find excuses as to why what their teaching is valid; I tried to tell myself that this is just the adversary telling me not to be a member; but I know thats not true. I know this doctrine is bull crap and its not teaching people to love thy neighbor.

Bmoudy2012
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:06 pm
Nursery

I haven't actually started the process of resigning yet (and the fact that there is even a paperwork process to take your name off a church registry just blows my mind) because its a life change and of course it's frustrating. But I just came here for support, to make this change.

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:24 pm

That's why I eventually resigned. I didn't want my name to be associated with an organization which practices such bigotry. I couldn't take it anymore.

Bmoudy2012
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:18 pm
Nursery

Did you take out an endowment?

And do Mormons believe thay Elohim instructed Jehovah to make the earth? Like I'm so confused and when I was being taught by the missionaries none of this was ever mentioned. I feel SO dumb.

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Yep. It scared me. I wanted to bolt out of the room. But in 1990, they took out the scary parts of the ceremony.

I was taught in the Church that Jehovah (Jesus' name in the Pre-Existence) made the Earth with the help of all of us, in spirit form, under the direction of his father.

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:40 am
God of Poly-Folly

If you feel like you do not have all of the strength that you need yet, to simply "up, and walk away" without ever looking back, I can help explain exactly where you may be in this un-brainwashing.

It is probable that your visit to th Mormon 'Temple' was to insure you would be sealed to your child that is recovering from cancer.

You were made to feel special accommodations were being forwarded in your case and that the other temple ordinances would be handled later. The entire circus act that the LDS church (small C) performs :icon-twisted: on needy souls is quite sick and inappropriately exercised onto the uninformed.

And I might add. It can feel so so so right at the time. Going through things like this can make you question who you really are. Make you question what might be real, what might be deceptive and manipulating and full of trickery. That is why finding out where, exactly where the Wikipedia definition of 'Confidence Trick' can aid in helping out right now, hopefully now trumping this flimsy LDS house of cards you were exposed to.

God of Poly-Folly Folly

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:34 am
God

Hi Bec,

I'm late to the table here but here are my thoughts.

I dated a girl for a while. Nice girl, pretty, smart and all. I call her "checklist girl". She met all of my check list items except ... well I had been married before (her too) and ... well I had been single for 3 years and I wanted the whole package and there was something missing ... there wasn't the "spark" or you might say that something didn't quite "click" (for me at least). A friend and I were talking and my friend said that if she wasn't right for me I should break off the dating part, not string along this lady waiting for something to happen and not settle for less. I took my friends advice and broke off the relationship and some time later met someone that I'm still madly in love with.

Point isn't to share a sappy story about my life but to make an analogy and a few points. If you know they aren't right for you then it's good to break off the relationship with the church or a date or whatever before you get to like their family, you get attached to their kids, you get settled into their programs, etc. because the longer you stretch it out the more these other things will bind you in.

And yes, Mormonism replaces Jesus with their organization. Affiliation to their organization is the critical bit, not your belief and relationship with Jesus. This become evident when they say that those who leave loose all blessings and priesthood and are basically "sons of perdition" meaning destined to outer darkness. I'm an ex-Mormon and I believe in Jesus and I have a better relationship with Him now than ever before. And to be honest, the Mormon God is a prick ... if I'm allowed to say that.

The Mormon people are fine people, I don't care for Mormonism.

Quote:
1) is one year two short of a time to make a decision to leave?
2) why is it so hard to let go and just leave!?

1) no. You leave when you know it's not right for you. You know that now. If you knew then what you know now, would you have gotten involved?

2) It's not 100% bad, but it's still not right. Leaving means you loose some of the enticing stuff that drew you in ... like any breakup with anything that you've ever been involved with.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:18 pm
myself

Hi dear,
I'm sorry for what you've been through and I really hope your little boy is doing well.
I recommend you check out Joseph Prince online and soak up what Jesus and Grace is really all about. Your instincts are completely correct.
The whole of the endowment is online so you can hear the whole drama if you wish to check out certain points.

TBM'S say it takes 4 years to make a Mormon. They'll just think you didn't make the grade. You, however, know differently, and if you want a bit of fun, you just tell them that you don't need to make the grade anyhow, kind of the whole point.

Run (don't walk) away and don't look back......... as someone told me once. :)

Bmoudy2012
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:55 pm
Nursery

Here is a copy of the resignation letter we intend to send. Any feedback?

December 9, 2015

Member Records
50 E North Temple, Room 1372
Salt Lake City, UT 84150-5310

To Whom it May Concern:
This letter is our formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it is effective immediately. We hereby withdraw our consent to being treated as members and we withdraw our consent to being subject to church rules, policies, beliefs and 'discipline'. As we are no longer members, we want our names permanently and completely removed from the membership rolls of the church. Please also remove the names of our two minor children. Our names and birthdays are as follows:

(names here)

We have given this matter considerable thought. We understand the 'seriousness' and the 'consequences' of our actions. We are aware that the church handbook says that our resignation "cancels the effects of baptism and confirmation, withdraws the priesthood held by a male member and revokes temple blessings". We also understand that we will be "readmitted to the church by baptism only after a thorough interview".

Any family history work and family names that we have reserved are to be immediately cancelled. We DO NOT give permission for others to do our family baptisms, sealings, or endowments.

Our resignation should be processed immediately, without any 'waiting periods'. After much pondering and prayer, we will not be dissuaded and will not change our minds.

We expect this matter to be handled promptly, with respect and with full confidentiality.

After today, the only contact our family wants from the church presidency is a single letter of confirmation to let us know that our entire family is no longer listed as members of the church. We prefer to not be contacted by missionaries, visiting teachers, the ward council, or stake president.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:21 pm
God

Hi Bec,

With minor children, both parents need to sign so be sure that's done or they will (did for me) ignore that part of the request.

Otherwise that's solid and should do the trick.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

minlanire
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:19 pm
Nursery

As they so often repeat.
sbo168

Bmoudy2012
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 pm
Nursery

What?

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:42 am
God of Poly-Folly

minlanire wrote:
"As they so often repeat"

The mobil link-link didn't seem to pass, no biggie.
But you're so so right!

Mormonism repeatedly assured us that they are all about protecting us from ourselves, heh, yeah right.

Quote:
I just can't take it in my heart anymore, as it feels like they're teaching hate. I tried to reason with myself and find excuses as to why what their teaching is valid; I tried to tell myself that this is just the adversary telling me not to be a member; but I know thats not true.

The LDS church (small C) seems to enjoy to try and confound and confuse.

God of Poly-Folly Folly

mufasapenny
Post  Post subject: Re: I've only been a convert since 11/2014- ready to leave.  |  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:25 pm
Sunbeam

i have also been a member since april 2014.reading these posts are like my eyes opening up.i feel sick and disgusted that i joined this church.i am tired of church members or the bishop telling me that in order to receive blessings you have to faithfully pay your tithing.i have been unemployed twice this year and am not making that much now.i would rather pay my bills and eat.i still believe in god but i could never get into the book of mormon.i feel like inside god is telling me that the bible is the only true word.isnt it enough to help people and be a good person and believe in god??i cant do these extra things they want me to do.i seriously want to cry right now as i suffer from depression.i have a feeling this isnt going to be easy for me to get out.the church is very persuasive.