View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:21 am

erin119
Post  Post subject: Finally free!!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:50 pm
Nursery

As of yesterday, I am officially free of the Mormon religion. I received my letter from them notifying me that I am no longer counted as a member of the church. I honestly was expecting a little more retaliation, but I am relieved that it was completely painless and easy. I never thought I would reach a point in my life where I thought I would be able to get away from it, but now that I have I feel happier than I have in a long time. I feel like I'm gaining control of my life, and in a sense taking back those years that were lost to me. Now I just need to work on the recovery which is going to take a while but I know I'll get there eventually.
I was wondering, when was the first time you all realized that the Mormon faith was a lie? For me, it was when I saw people step in the church and outright lie in front of God, their family, their friends and fellow church members, and then once they stepped out of the church they went right back to their old behavior. One of the common things I hear from those who are still members is "You'll change your mind once you work out the troubles you've had in your life." Honestly, I think I've never believed in it. The idea that a troubled life is all it takes to "deconvert" someone just seems shallow. I don't think it's that simple. Perhaps its their way of brushing off nonbelievers?

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Finally free!!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:55 pm
myself

t2 would say to you that deconversion (or rather waking up) does take friction, it takes heat and stress because then you do get that courage to really look at what is going on and have the courage to do something to move your life onto a healthier footing than is provided by the lies of the organisation. But when you've woken up you don't go back! The members do need to find ways to dismiss all of the resignations and try to make a shell around themselves so that they might not be challenged too, as that would be way too scarey for them.

When did I first realise it was all a lie? It mostly came in dribs and drabs. But the first overwhelming time I realised it was all a lie was when I watched a link Rainfeather posted on here about the DNA and that is one powerful video. It is very shocking, that wave of realisation.

Yes, you will recover just fine. Our journeys will be different here as I believed it all until I started to wake up.

Enjoy your happiness :)

Dooglas
Post  Post subject: Re: Finally free!!  |  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:28 pm
Nursery

Free! I was amazed at how much my mind was holding onto. Several weeks after I received my confirmation letter that I was out, I found my mind worked much better without all of the conflicting belief structures.

When I look back, there was slow gradual process of my belief structure changing. I felt is was ok for there to be a discrepancy for what I believed and what the church taught. I was picking and choosing the parts of the gospel that I would include in my beliefs. At a certain point I discovered that I no longer believed the same things that the church taught. A bit further down the road I discovered that I was actually repulsed by what the church was teaching. It was at that point that I felt it necessary to resign from it.

I hope you have a smooth transition. I was also very scared that the church would bother me when I left. I also found the process to be relatively painless. The only pain I had was from within, letting go of the lies.