View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Whiskers
Post  Post subject: Should I make the effort to resign?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:00 am
Nursery

Hello! I have been inactive for about 7 years. I've moved numerous times and in general I'm not being sought out for reactivation. I wanted to have my name removed because I do not want to be counted in their numbers for membership. However from what I've read, even if my name is removed they will continue to count me in their numbers. Is this correct? Is it worth the risk of them finding my current address?

Thanks!

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Should I make the effort to resign?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:11 pm
myself

Hi!
Well this is what I always believed and was led to believe by very many people a few years ago. Even so personally I believed it is right to resign. There is no question of that.

HOWEVER, since the mass resignations over the sexuality issues I understand this has changed and that the numbers now do reflect the numbers that are resigning.

I have no absolute proof but that is what I am told by those that know. It would make sense to me that there has been a change as the numbers are in there thousands so perhaps leadership realised they would be shown to be lying if they did not make a more accurate report.

Anyhow, I vote for resigning!

You will, for the easiest exit, need to tell them your current address, but truely, I doubt you will have any difficulty at all. This is a brand new day and all the hassle of even a few years ago is very much over. People are regularly out in 2 weeks from sending the email. And since the present bishop in the ward where you are doesn't even know you, he could just process your resignation without any contact with you.

You have the power, don't be stuck in inactivity, rally and chuck 'em out of your life.

Whiskers
Post  Post subject: Re: Should I make the effort to resign?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:08 pm
Nursery

Hi Melanie! Thank you the encouragement. I absolutely want to resign, I just don't want people knocking on my door. I'm not sure who the bishop is for my current area, but I do know that there are still people in the local stake that would remember me. My mother is also inactive and they still try to come visit teach her. She's asked them multiple times to stop but they have not listened. I've encouraged her to take this step. Not sure how much it will help in her case as they haven't respected her wishes thus far and know where she lives. Haha, she and I can get together for an FHE to write our resignation letters! Again thank you for the encouraging words and support.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Should I make the effort to resign?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:29 pm
myself

Don't write any letter
Just email msr-confrec@ldschurch.org

Just names, dob, memb numbers if you have them, current address for confirmation letter to get sent to. Say you wish to resign with immediate effect. Nothing else. No reasons, nothing.
Resignation stops things. You have to realise this. It is not hard to get out. It is the way your mum stops things.

Whiskers
Post  Post subject: Re: Should I make the effort to resign?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:46 pm
Nursery

Ok thanks for the email address and the tips! I will pass that information on to my mom.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Should I make the effort to resign?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:13 pm
myself

My mum had been inactive for a couple of years when she resigned, the bishop did not even contact her to check she wanted to resign, so perhaps it may go that way too for your mum. :)

The procedure is that the bishop needs to check you do wish to resign and are not being coerced. The bishop of my ward delayed and delayed to do this so I had to go to the SP through a friend in the end, and the SP told the bishop to do his job.

So you see procedures are not there to make it difficult, in fact they are there within the structure to help you to leave.

Some men, like all of us, can be awkward and it may take longer when so. The stated time by membership records is 6 weeks, but like I said, we have regular recent reports of much faster times than this.

If you want to move outside of normal procedure it will take longer.

If the bishop wants to come, let him. It is in your interest, if you do want to leave.

mufasapenny
Post  Post subject: Re: Should I make the effort to resign?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:13 pm
Sunbeam

i resigned in july of this year.the whole process took 2 weeks.the bishop talked to me a couple of times but he wanted to make sure this is what i wanted.believe me when i say there is a sense of relief and freedom when they send you that letter that says you have been taken off the list.i havent gotten any visits or calls since which is what is suppose to happen.it is so nice to be able to relax in my home and not worry about the missionaries randomly stopping over.that was so annoying.i also threw all of my bok of mormons in the garbage so they are long gone.send the e-mail and get it over with.i did and this website has been very supportive.