View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:24 am

erin119
Post  Post subject: Need suggestions in beginning the de-brainwashing process...  |  Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:38 am
Nursery

So I'm not exactly sure how to word what it is I'm looking for. I guess I'm attempting to come to an understanding of some of the things I was taught in the Mormon church growing up. I've started by learning more about Joseph Smith and what really happened, instead of the crappy, buttered-up version that the Mormon church teaches its members which glorifies him. I think the better way to put it is I want to know the truth behind some of the "lessons", if you could call them that, that I was taught in an effort to remove the brainwashing from my mind. Because I don't have much experience with other religions, or just other topics outside of Mormonism, I'm wondering where there is a good place to start with the recovery process?
I remember as a kid that I was curious about other faiths, and other subjects that the Mormon church considers taboo, but because the area I lived in was very strict about what they taught kids I was never allowed to learn about them. Now that I've recently left, and have officially resigned, I want to learn about that which I was forbidden to study. I have recently ordered the book "Leaving the Fold" by Marlene Wells to see if maybe it has some suggestions as to where to start. It was also suggested to me that I read the book "Trusting Doubt" by Valerie Tarico. I also received the book "Born to Win" by Muriel James and Dorothy Jongeward from my mother-in-law which helped her learn how to deal with some of the scare tactics they like to use to try and "save those who have wandered from the fold". I do eventually plan on working with a therapist who specializes in Religious Trauma Syndrome, since that's something I've been struggling with since leaving. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what subjects, or areas would be good in beginning my journey? What has been your experience with the recovery process, and does one ever officially become "de-brainwashed" (is that the term?) eventually? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Need suggestions in beginning the de-brainwashing proces  |  Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 am
God of Mythbusters

Understanding Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassen provides a great look into how thought reforming occurs within groups or individuals as well. Interesting to note Erin119, that Religious Trauma Syndrome is a recognized treatable condition now. Personally, Joseph Campbell's "The Power of Myth" is another great read, although rather long and complex. No matter what you chose Erin119, I'm glad you now see the organization for what it really is. Certainly not what it has ever claimed to be.

One last comment and thought here. The longer you're out and away from its influence, the better off you will feel. That's pretty much a certainty.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Need suggestions in beginning the de-brainwashing proces  |  Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:15 am
God

Hi Erin,

Welcome. My advice? Keep learning. Separating the lies from the truth is important. It will give you confidence in your decision.

Shawn McCraney did (does?) a show, "Heart of the Matter," that is good at separating out the Mormon teachings and what's taught in the Bible. He is good at teasing those ways of thinking apart. IRR also addresses this along with several other places.

John Dehlin has done a lot of work for Mormons in transition and it's not anything to do with him but I've not spent much time on his site.

This site has done much for me as I get to watch other's move through the process and there is something in observing people in different phases in the same struggle that I'm in and learning from their successes and failures.

"De Brainwashed?" How would I know if it's ever done. I think I've come a long way but there are still times when I look at things that happen and I see influence from my LDS life. But I also see influence from my parents and grandparents and schooling and my home town and how I was raised and more.

I think the healthy place is to recognize the influences in your life and to take time and choose again. You might choose the same political mindsets (for example) and that's ok, or maybe you choose a different political mindset and that's ok too. The victory is in choosing, not in making the right or wrong decision, because guess what? You're going to learn more and again have reasons to maybe change your decisions.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Need suggestions in beginning the de-brainwashing process...  |  Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:53 am
God of Poly-Folly

Hi erin119, do you feel like the Mormon brainwash administered to you for so many years while you were LDS is taking up too much space in your head? It isn't, God speaking to us all is somehow heard above the background noise, his sushine of unfathomable grace even reaches through the barrier Mormonism placed in between us and his Love.

Today is the day you are going to make a connection a long time coming.

You are about to have a strong and unbelievably strong set of epiphanies, It's where God's love reached through mountainous barriers. The spiritual experiences we all had weren't proving the Mormon church (sm C) but rather, it was God's Love touching us despite the things that happened to be in the way.

Let that one soak in, your brain is safe. You're in very good hands!

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
........................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944

God of Poly-Folly Folly

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Need suggestions in beginning the de-brainwashing proces  |  Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:19 am

I can only echo what the others have said. Keep educating yourself. The more knowledge you have, the more you realize how much evidence there is that the Mormon Church is just not what it purports itself to be.

And time. The farther you're away from it, the more you can't believe that you ever thought that way. I'm finally at the point where I don't even feel like an ex-Mormon anymore. I'm just a non-Mormon.

I like myself a lot more, now that I don't carry around the black and white thinking that I used to have. I didn't even realize it was there, until I was far enough away from it to look back and go, "Wow," when I think of the difference.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Need suggestions in beginning the de-brainwashing proces  |  Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:12 am
God of Mythbusters

You're quite fortunate to lock onto this site for assistance in your exit. It is many times a difficult life change but much more doable with sincere friends to back you up as needed. Welcome aboard the forums.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Need suggestions in beginning the de-brainwashing proces  |  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:13 am
God of Poly-Folly

teoma2 wrote:
You're quite fortunate to lock onto this site for assistance in your exit. It is many times a difficult life change but much more doable with sincere friends to back you up as needed. Welcome aboard the forums.

When the religion you grew up with stresses how important they are just before falling into pieces with their lying and coverup, maybe that's when relying on true friends becomes paramount.

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}
........................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944

God of Poly-Folly Folly