View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:21 am

OldCowBones
Post  Post subject: 6 degrees of LDS separation...  |  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:01 am
Nursery

A thing I am struggling with right now is the interconnected nature of church members. It's really weirding me out. I am from a big city where nobody knows anybody else. Since investigating the church, joining the church, resigning from the church, etc. I find I know everybody. I'm finding it really creepy.

Today I had to phone a Mormon guy, just for practical reasons and nothing to do with my church membership, and we wound up spending a long time talking about the people we know in common. "Oh, you know Adam?! How is Adam? Yeah, I heard about that. And Brian? How's Brian?" etc. We spent several minutes talking about all of the different people we knew in common.

I had the same experience on a date with a Mormon guy a few months ago.

I know it's not a real problem... but does anyone else find it weird?!

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: 6 degrees of LDS separation...  |  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:58 am
myself

I think it is just what happens in life when one is aware of something, it happens all the time. I just started to work for a hedgehog rescue and now everywhere I look there are hedgehog ornaments, plaques, knitted toys and I found out others of my friends support the same rescue. I went to a craft fair on Saturday and on Sunday when I went to a different church for an evening service, there was the lady I had chatted to and bought cards from, leading the service.

You have a shared cultural history with others. So many folk are so lonely in the world and without connections, it may turn out to be a nice thing.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: 6 degrees of LDS separation...  |  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:51 am
God

The LDS are quite closed in and the church tries to become the center of your life. You "love" the church and know it's true. You are separated from the world and these are often the only people you (as a TBM) really know (well). So OldCowBones, it might be that these are main people that the guy knew and so he asked if you knew them too.

My parents are still TBM, My In-laws were TBM. When there are/were discussions with them, they often drifted to church people and church activities and past missions and stuff, because that was their life. It where they find (most of) their fiends. It's where (most of) their activities are based. It's the seat of (most of) their social life. They owe so much to their church.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: 6 degrees of LDS separation...  |  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:11 am
God of Mythbusters

I think this results from too much time spent in the LD$ belief bubble. Its all they seem to know, their own little world. Here in Utah, things are changing very rapidly, with more divergent races of humans entering annually and different ideologies commensurate with the influx of new comers naturally occurring. I personally hate to see things change so fast, but personallly, the diversity is most welcome by myself. The old guard, so to speak, is dying off or being diluted out by the numerous new comers.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."