View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:54 am

hopeful22
  Post  Post subject: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:14 am
Nursery

So I still deal with Mormon stuff and I've not been a Mormon for 10+ years and never felt like I belonged before anyways, just to give a little information and have dealt a lot with this emotionally, spiritually, etc. time and time again with family who still are Mormon.

Last straw and wanting to find out how to get my name off the records permanently finally became top priority yesterday when local business I was at for kid's appointments looked up my personal contact info. on a lds app that even has inactive members personal info. available which looks like to anyone who wants to download this app. SCARY!! I need to get off their records, they keep up with every move I make and it's terrifying. Felt like this overstepping the line of using information unethically.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:15 am
myself

Hi! Welcome! I wonder if this is some sort of iknow app, that I found out they use at my church too. If so I am not sure that resigning will solve this problem because it comes down to individuals in positions of responsibility in the wards/ branches who are inputting info.

But definitely resign anyhow! For your own integrity regardless of what/ how others are acting.

msr-confrec@ldschurch.org

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:39 am
God

At the company where I work, that giving out of personal information is a pretty serious thing. Many countries have problems with that too. The LDS might want to tread carefully here.

But to your point Hopeful, I think it is creepy.

Marking you "no longer a member" and "forgetting who you are" are 2 different things. I think they are better at updating your status than they are about forgetting you. I still have some old member rosters from back in the day where you could pick up a ward listing, they can't recall those papers and they shouldn't go blabbing about your status change any more than required.

Anyway, some technical challenges there for the LDS. Good luck with the resignation.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:12 am

If it's local, they might have access to your info by logging into the Ward or Stake's website. If you have your membership number, you can actually register and log into that.

You can edit your own information. I changed my information before I resigned, removing my address and phone number from the Ward list.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:20 pm
God of Mythbusters

Smart move Rain!

When a local call came in for some updating on a local Catholic parish phone book some years ago, I indicated that my records be forwarded to a parish up in the Boise Idaho area. I did have some plans on moving there, but never did go.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

funundercommand
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:35 pm
Nursery

what was this app called do you know?

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:39 pm
God

https://www.lds.org/pages/mobileapps?lang=eng

Wonder if it was the second one, the "Tools" one.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

hopeful22
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:15 pm
Nursery

Melanie wrote:
Hi! Welcome! I wonder if this is some sort of iknow app, that I found out they use at my church too. If so I am not sure that resigning will solve this problem because it comes down to individuals in positions of responsibility in the wards/ branches who are inputting info.

But definitely resign anyhow! For your own integrity regardless of what/ how others are acting.

msr-confrec@ldschurch.org

It was called lds tools and has a picture of what looks like a church building on it. Thankfully I have a family member who does respect my wishes and is going to call the ward and take care of it he says. I did also send an email resignation to make it official, I just never knew it was a big deal. I just always thought when they knew I wasn't coming anymore that meant I'm not a member anymore. Thank you for your comment.

hopeful22
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:19 pm
Nursery

productofchoice wrote:
At the company where I work, that giving out of personal information is a pretty serious thing. Many countries have problems with that too. The LDS might want to tread carefully here.

But to your point Hopeful, I think it is creepy.

Marking you "no longer a member" and "forgetting who you are" are 2 different things. I think they are better at updating your status than they are about forgetting you. I still have some old member rosters from back in the day where you could pick up a ward listing, they can't recall those papers and they shouldn't go blabbing about your status change any more than required.

Anyway, some technical challenges there for the LDS. Good luck with the resignation.

Peace

Thank you product of choice. True about that, it's weird as a lot seem like this is okay and say it's because they care about you.

hopeful22
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:20 pm
Nursery

Rainfeather wrote:
If it's local, they might have access to your info by logging into the Ward or Stake's website. If you have your membership number, you can actually register and log into that.

You can edit your own information. I changed my information before I resigned, removing my address and phone number from the Ward list.

I don't know it if I do, have stopped going since 2002.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Encounter in a local business...this is too far  |  Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:03 pm
myself

Congrats on your resignation. Excellent news!