View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:48 pm

kat
Post  Post subject: we don't want any women here  |  Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:20 am
CTR B

Another snarky story (just the right word). I feel obligated first to say that I have many dear Mormon relatives who are fabulous people. It's the groupthink that makes really sincere people act like morons.

When I was at BYU I used to hike up in Rock Canyon alone a lot. (dangerous, I know) It was stunningly beautiful and I couldn't get enough of it. One morning my sweet BYU boyfriend informed me that a hiker had gone missing in Rock Canyon and that a call had gone out for searchers to look for him. We hopped on his motorcycle (a deliciously sinful mode of transportation in the 1970s) and zipped over to the canyon to help. When we got there one of the leaders of the search told my boyfriend to take me home because, "we don't want any women here." I couldn't believe it. I was sure there was no one in the group who knew that canyon better than I did and yet they didn't want my help?? I was kind of humiliated. He took me home and returned. They later found that poor kid. He had been killed after falling off a cliff. Very sad.