View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:41 pm

pettifogger
Post  Post subject: Re: Radical Origins: Early Mormon Converts and Their Colonia  |  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:40 pm
CTR A

Chapter 11, p. 152

CONCLUSION

Many examples may be found of family lines remaining consistently radical across many generations. The original ancestors of many LDS converts engaged in radical religious activities from the earliest days of colonial New England. Some of their descendants were active participants in what is today identified as white and black spiritualists activities, including witchcraft. Others were engaged in the establishment of radical churches such as the Rogerenes and the Seventh-day Baptists. Many were active in the First and Second Great Awakenings, and they participated in the establishment of what are generally considered to be the first indigenous religions of America, including Shakers, Freewill Baptists, and Universalists.
In spite of variations of religious expression through the periods under question, there were clear commonalities. Those people we have identified with early religious radicalism lived clustered in a small number of villages and towns of New England. Their families tended to remain in these communities for many generations. They lived in areas where the First and Second Great Awakenings had significant impact. In the early 1800s, the population of New England colonies began to flow westward. But many individuals migrating out of New England belonged to families that had proclaimed spiritual powers and gifts for many generations. Many of the New England migrants joined the Mormon Church after they had moved west, or they moved west soon after they had joined the church. The newly formed LDS Church encouraged them to continue to express, practice, and incorporate the shared radical spiritual attitudes and traditions that had been so much a part of their New England family heritage.

Last edited by pettifogger on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pettifogger
Post  Post subject: Re: Radical Origins: Early Mormon Converts and Their Colonia  |  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:52 pm
CTR A

POSTSCRIPT

This book began as my quest to gain some perspective on the radical religious roots of my own family. But perhaps because I am a historian, it soon blossomed into a study of the roots of an indigenous American church, the Mormons, and it ultimately became a study of the role of early colonial religious radicals in the development of American religious culture. I hope the book serves as an inspiration for others to learn more about their own family roots, to find out about the antecedents and forerunners of their own religions, and to inquire more about the role that religion has had in the formation of the world in which they live. When I began this study, almost a decade ago, the difficulties of gaining access to the necessary resources were formidable. Since then, advances in technology have made the quest far easier for both the curious seeker after genealogical data and for the serious academic scholar asking broader questions about religion and history.

That's all folks!

pettifogger
Post  Post subject: Radical Origins: Early Mormon Converts and Their Colonial  |  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:56 pm
CTR A

Have read this text now twice and continue to be amazed at what the author discovered about the ancestry of early Mormon converts. I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to learn about the roots of Mormonism from a sociological standpoint. If you are related to any of those early Mormon converts (1830-35), it is a must read to learn about your family's origins in America.

I'll entertain any questions about the text you might want answered.

pettifogger
Post  Post subject: Re: Radical Origins: Early Mormon Converts and Their Colonia  |  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:17 pm
CTR A

I've found a few spelling errors and have corrected them. Contact me if you find any!

pettifogger
Post  Post subject: Re: Radical Origins: Early Mormon Converts and Their Colonia  |  Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:07 pm
CTR A

All corrections now made.