View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm

LamontDupont
Post  Post subject: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not true  |  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:55 pm
Nursery

Many ex-mormons have an inner need to rationalize the reasons they left the Church.
The real reasons are:
Some want to return to alcohol, drugs or addictions.
Some want to justify selfishly keeping their money instead of paying a tithe.
Some have made mistakes in life that harmed their family and they are too proud to admit it was THEIR fault.
Some can't (or won't) try to understand the facts of the Church, so they mock it or criticize it.
Some think that certain events seem unlikely or peculiar, so they claim those events are impossible.

Sadly, they turn to similar minded individuals that reinforce their feelings and they create blogs like this one.

Most of the assertions I read in several areas of this blog are false. The rest are exaggerations or manipulated nonsense.
Don't seek spiritual advice from people lacking in spirituality. The Church is not perfect. The doctrine can be confusing. Many factors contributed to events that now seem contradictory.
Try to be "teachable" and you will rise above the poison administered in this blog.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:08 am
myself

O kayey then! God Speed.

Scousette1
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:59 am
Nursery

This extremely valuable forum exists precisely because the individuals who contribute to it are eminently 'teachable'. Thanks to their clearly seeing the poison administered by the TSSC, many people are now living authentic, worthwhile lives.
Take your own advice. Be teachable. Stick around. You will learn a lot.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:05 am
God of Mythbusters

About time we had a troll appear...stick around Lamont and learn somethings to take back to the bros.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:01 pm
God

Hi Lamont,

There is so much that could be said but lets see if you're serious about discussing or if you just laid an egg and left.

My journey out of the LDS Church started with a very skeptical view of the anti stuff. I was defending the church. So I studied hard and checked references. I purchased old LDS books and went back to source documentation as often as possible. Check the references.

And rather than just broad hand waving and dismissing, lets talk about a few topics.

And rather than make assumptions about our character, lets get to know each other before dismissing each other. Maybe you and I study a topic and learn about it and come to different conclusions ... and that's ok.

God's not threatened by what people say, He's bigger than that.
The truth isn't threatened by examination ... but lies are.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:20 pm

part 1 of 1-or-2
LamontDupont wrote:
Try to be "teachable" and you will rise above the poison administered in this blog.

Likewise, I’m sure. Is there a difference between being “teachable” and simply being teachable without the air-quotes?

LamontDupont wrote:
Most of the assertions I read in several areas of this blog are false. The rest are exaggerations or manipulated nonsense.
Thank goodness it’s only “most” and not “all”. We can be grateful for that, right?
Please be specific. There have been so many posters and posts over the years here at exmormonforums.com that we can’t tell what it is you think are “exaggerations” and what you think are “manipulated nonsense”. Of course, I will agree that many assertions are false, that’s the result of people offering their honest opinions. No need to get nasty about the exercise of free speech.

You may be confusing “assertion” with claim or conclusion. For example, I can assert that you are a Jehovah’s Witness. I have no evidence. And it’s wrong. But it is not a mere assertion to say that you are a Mormon, because there is some evidence for that. So are you really talking about genuine assertions (lacking evidence or support), or are you talking about experience-based conclusions that you hate because they are different from yours?

LamontDupont wrote:
Many ex-mormons have an inner need to rationalize the reasons they left the Church.

Which ones are these?
Why do some (“many”) have that inner need and others do not?

Of course people find reasons for their actions!
Or, finding reason, act on them.
When a person joins the Mormon church, is it just random, chance, fate?
Or does a person joining the Mormon Church give reasons – rationalize his decision?
Everyone has or can quickly present reasoning for why his actions are justifiable. For decades, Mormons justified polygamy, now they justify monogamy. They justified not giving the priesthood to “blacks” – not just descendants of Cain but others who merely had dark skin; now they justify a racially open priesthood. It is normal for us to justify our beliefs and our actions - and the changes in our beliefs and actions! Can you imagine otherwise?

LamontDupont wrote:
The real reasons are:
- How were you able to scientifically (or rationally) distinguish the real from other (false) reasons? Please provide a brief summary of your research methodology, and sources you used.

LamontDupont wrote:
Some want to return to alcohol, drugs or addictions.

So is it the case that you believe that Mormons who do not leave the Mormon Church never "return" to alcohol, drugs or addictions? If so, you are a sheltered little fellow, aren’t you?
Do you believe that Mormons who drink alcohol, take drugs or engage in [harmful] addictions do not rationalize their actions? If so, you aren’t asking questions. That makes you “unteachable”.
Are sinning Mormons significantly different in their ratiocinations from exmormons? If so, how?

note: I have met many Mormon students who drink alcohol and take drugs, and adult Mormons who admitted committing adultery and worse crimes. I cannot believe you have met none. I see no moral superiority of Mormons over ex-Mormons. Sure, ex-Mormons might drink and swear a little; but they are less likely to beat their wives, commit adultery, and lie about their beliefs than Mormons of my acquaintance and readings have been.
I have also met many Mormons who did not believe the Church is “true” and some do not even believe God exists. But they don’t want to rock their family or neighborhood boats, so they go through the motions of good Mormons; on the other hand, I have met many ex-Mormons who are tea-totalers, fanatically monogamous and anti-polygamist, absolutely and unapologetically monotheists, and some who are devout Christians, Buddhists and pagans. How are Mormons better?

LamontDupont wrote:
Some want to justify selfishly keeping their money instead of paying a tithe.

How do you know?

What is “a tithe”? A tenth of income (regardless of outgo)? A tenth of increase (regardless of total income)? A tenth of all possessions? To be paid in dollars or in kind? Why only “a tithe” – don’t you know there were three tithes, and their purposes were clearly spelled out. Do you pay the three tithes, or just the one indulgence the Church Bosses tell you that you have to pay or you won’t get to heaven?

I am an ex-Mormon. Do you accuse me of “selfishly keeping” my money instead of paying a tithe? Do you have the foggiest idea what percentage of anyone’s income goes to charities! You name-calling little marionette. I give 1/12 of my income each year to a set of specific charities that I personally like whether the Mormon Church does or not I don’t care; plus make additional contributions throughout the year to organizations and a few individuals who ask for it. (The Seventh Day Adventists have a school nearby. Each year students canvas the neighborhoods for donations to pay their high school tuition. I’m not a Seventh Day Adventist. I dislike some of their teachings. But I like the kids. I know the school they go to provides a pretty good education beyond the religious, so I donate. A local food bank makes requests now and then. I give money and bags of goods to people begging on street corners. Does the Mormon self-loving church do that?) You dare fault me for donating to charities of my choosing? If God doesn’t want me to donate to charities other than the Mormon Church, He can destroy those charities as He did the Nephites, and then I’ll have no choice but to give my charitable donations to the bloated coffers of Mormondom. But if that is what God is like, I’d be happier in a world of charitable apostates than cold-hearted Mormons.

Last edited by Abinadi on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
added a period

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:27 pm

LamontDupont wrote:
How many posts have you read, roughly?

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:22 pm

2 of 2-or-3
LamontDupont: Last visited: Oct 16, 2016, (Sun), 3:52 pm
But no further posting?

LamontDupont wrote:

Be specific. We are grown-ups here. Well, the ex-mormons among us are. Sometimes, sadly, we get know-it-all rabble-rousers who dip in now and then, hit and run, making one post then never returning. I guess they aren’t mature. But let’s not worry about them, okay. Let’s get our mature on!
Which assertions did you read that you believe are false?
Which assertions did you read that you believe are exaggerations?
Which assertions did you read that you believe are “manipulated nonsense”?

LamontDupont wrote:
Don't seek spiritual advice from people lacking in spirituality.
Agreed. I place Thomas Monson in that category.

LamontDupont wrote:
The Church is not perfect.
Agreed. The Strangite and Temple Lot churches have always been more perfect than the manipulated nonsense spouted by Brigham Young – blood atonement, polygamy, infinite regression, God having a physical body, Joseph Smith being the embodiment of the Holy Ghost.

LamontDupont wrote:
The doctrine can be confusing.

If your Church had a prophet, seer, revelator at its head, he could clear up the confusion. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to have such a person.

LamontDupont wrote:
Many factors contributed to events that now seem contradictory.
What??

You wrote, “The Church is not perfect.” I write, neither are ex-Mormons. Why condemn ex-Mormons for imperfection but excuse the Church? Why excuse the Church and Mormons their imperfections, but dump on ex-Mormons?

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:12 pm
God

Interesting ... so Maybe Lamont wants to look but not engage.

OK.

So study question for you. Look into who "Mary Elizabeth Lightner Rollins" is, study her history and then an ask yourself, to whom is she married in the next life and why? Support that answer with scripture.

Hint, Mary Elizabeth is a very interesting person in the early church hero with some very key connections. There is even a picture of her in the LDS picture packets used to teach Sunday school. Learn the rest of her story, it's very interesting.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:49 pm

I never feed trolls. That's the only way to starve them. This one just seems to be a hit and run type.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:22 am
myself

The thing I think is good about someone very experienced coming in and answering the ''troll's'' allegations is that it hammers down and obliterates any residual questioning that a newer person on this journey may have and it puts matters in a clear perspective.

That is of great value as the Board is read by so many and for the total uprightness, from the point of view of the integrity of the Board, I am glad when experienced people reply. It helps us all keep our eyes on the goal and not get lost by someone trying to move the quicksand.

Everybody who reads the board is important and if a ''troll'' wishes to engage then I am sure he/she is met at the point of engagement. My greater aim is that no-one who reads anything on here will be more sad and disempowered, instead that they may have confidence to forge ahead away from the LDS organisation.

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Okay, okay, I finally get it, Lamont_Dupont!!!!!!
Great one. You had all of us going there.
I have found you ... elsewhere.
I see your humor - and appreciate it.
You had all the cliches down so good, I actually thought you were a Mormon.
I had to be clued in elsewhere about who you really are.
Next time, give a hint, like a wink or something ;)

Meantime, drop by again some time - and take either side.
Your fellow ex-mormons welcome you.

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Most of the "facts" here are false, the rest are not tru  |  Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Is this the same LamontDupont??
https://m.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/431say/curelom_found_mysterious_book_of_mormon_animal/

Same one, or different one?:
https://www.reddit.com/user/Lamont_Dupont/