View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:43 am

Klaus1787
Post  Post subject: Murders in Utah 1800s  |  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:48 pm
Nursery

A study of the homicides committed in Utah, especially by Mormons, is needed and I am not aware of such research. The Mountain Meadow Massacre has been thoroughly researched, especially by Will Bagley. The 1857 Santa Clara ambush has been covered by Ardis Parshall, although the four victims were only wounded. The Parrish-Potter murders in Springville have been investigated by Polly Aird who has done an excellent investigation. The murders of the Aiken party have been covered. Also uncovered were the murders of Richard E. Yates, Pvt. George W. Clark, and Henry Forbes. On this website I saw the name of Rasmos Anderson, murdered for committing adultery with his step-daughter.

There are many stories with the general claim that many people were murdered in Utah by Mormons but such statements are meaningless. It is important to name the victim who was murdered, when this happened, where he was murdered, how he was killed, hopefully the motive for the murder is known, and especially, who the murderer(s) was (or were).

Any assistance with such a project would be extremely helpful.

smartenough
Post  Post subject: Re: Murders in Utah 1800s  |  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:52 am
High Priest

If you can get the Mormon Delusion book series it will be helpful in describing the details about the Mountain Meadows massacre as well as Blood Atonement in the early stages of Utah's history especially under Brigham Young. This is all of the information I have at the moment.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Murders in Utah 1800s  |  Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:23 am
God of Mythbusters

Doing valid research of this kind is difficult, especially when TSCC collects up historical documents that are obviously less than faith promoting.

Possibly, an honest source might be found in the personal journals of those that lived during these times. Great Grandpa's, or Grand Ma's, hand written journals, many times, leads to insights on how life was back in their day.

However, getting the legitimate owners to allow others to read them is another story altogether.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

leftasteen
Post  Post subject: Re: Murders in Utah 1800s  |  Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:38 pm
Sunbeam

I have recently been purusing a dozen or so of such personal histories from the 1800's. Both my Mother's and Father's family have roots back to the earliest days of the church. My Mom had boxes of the stuff stashed away that we are finally going through.

Body guards of JS on both sides. Polygamy on both sides. Mormon battallion, etc.

They write of persecution driving them from their homes in the South and East. They write of loyal members who were hurt, killed, or died in tough conditions or wagon trains.

But in the other direction, they say things like:" I was asked to handle a problem with a member in St. George." Or, "the prophet directed us to handle the Indian problem in the South." Very non-descript.

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Murders in Utah 1800s  |  Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:13 pm

leftasteen wrote:
I have recently been purusing a dozen or so of such personal histories from the 1800's. Both my Mother's and Father's family have roots back to the earliest days of the church. My Mom had boxes of the stuff stashed away that we are finally going through.

Body guards of JS on both sides. Polygamy on both sides. Mormon battallion, etc.

They write of persecution driving them from their homes in the South and East. They write of loyal members who were hurt, killed, or died in tough conditions or wagon trains.

But in the other direction, they say things like:" I was asked to handle a problem with a member in St. George." Or, "the prophet directed us to handle the Indian problem in the South." Very non-descript.

"Handle" was a euphemism used in Utah during Brigham Young's rule.
It means "kill."
Young's church vigilante's "handled" apostates so that they would not cause problems.