View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 am

Dansdone
Post  Post subject: Re: Church Statement released on Race Relations  |  Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:40 am
God

“Our living prophet, President David O. McKay, has said, ‘The seeming discrimination by the Church toward the Negro is not something which originated with man; but goes back into the beginning with God….’” —1969 First Presidency Statement

http://janariess.religionnews.com/2013/12/19/mormon-racism-black-self-hatred-zion-darron-smith/

Quote:
Dr. Darron Smith assistant professor Department of Physician Assistant Studies at the University of Tennessee.

For many black LDS who stay and practice their faith, often the messages and principles of the faith, such as the gospel’s emphasis on family and community, trump the racist past (and present). Still others have come to believe, like their white counterparts, that Church authorities’ statements on controversial issues are institutionally sanctioned pronouncements by God, when in fact, they often reflect individual political and social prejudicial views. Whether they converted or are second generation LDS, most black Mormons politely ignore the racist teachings, which in effect marginalizes them.

I am in full support of the LDS Church’s effort to move beyond its racist past. This admission, however, will likely create significant problems moving forward for those Mormons who have been taught the LDS notion of prophetic infallibility. In light of these new developments, many more Godly questions have been left unanswered. As these issues are addressed, old doctrines may be discarded and retaught where necessary in efforts to seek full equality and justice for all members.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Church Statement released on Race Relations  |  Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:33 am
God of Mythbusters

So there we have it, talking for god once again....if it wasn't initially originated by a man like Brigham Young, why did this aversion or "seeming discrimination" to Negro's persist like it did for so long?

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

ojoyo
Post  Post subject: Re: Church Statement released on Race Relations  |  Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:55 pm
Priest

when I first heard this story on the news I was very irritated. I love how the church(and religion in general) can always work their beliefs retroactively. Hindsight is 20/20.

Its like anytime there is social pressure or stigma, it becomes what was "always" the truth but us mere humans were not able to really understand the scripture or god's words were misinterpreted.

Like when a new scientific discovery is made they claim it for their own and twist a belief or scripture to show support all along.

"See!!!! God meant for everyone to be equal to each other we just didn't know that everyone really meant EVERYONE until 1978!!!"

Or when the true age of the earth was confirmed they took that an ran with it as well. "Well, you can't interpret Genesis literally....." Oh really?

edit: oh, and everyone still does not mean everyone until women are included and gays are getting temple marriages. All in due time I guess. I can already see the statement from the church 50 years from now. "It has always been God's stance to allow equality for the priesthood to women, but you know, it was a male dominated society and the prophets were just men living in their time...." BS

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Re: Church Statement released on Race Relations  |  Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:54 am
God of Poly-Folly

ojoyo wrote:
when I first heard this story on the news I was very irritated. I love how the church(and religion in general) can always work their beliefs retroactively. Hindsight is 20/20.

Its like anytime there is social pressure or stigma, it becomes what was "always" the truth but us mere humans were not able to really understand the scripture or god's words were misinterpreted.

Like when a new scientific discovery is made they claim it for their own and twist a belief or scripture to show support all along.

"See!!!! God meant for everyone to be equal to each other we just didn't know that everyone really meant EVERYONE until 1978!!!"

Or when the true age of the earth was confirmed they took that an ran with it as well. "Well, you can't interpret Genesis literally....." Oh really?

edit: oh, and everyone still does not mean everyone until women are included and gays are getting temple marriages. All in due time I guess. I can already see the statement from the church 50 years from now. "It has always been God's stance to allow equality for the priesthood to women, but you know, it was a male dominated society and the prophets were just men living in their time...." BS

It hurts to laugh!

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
........................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944

God of Poly-Folly Folly

Dansdone
Post  Post subject: Re: Church Statement released on Race Relations  |  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:57 am
God

Reminds me of the Kinderhook plates. :-D The church defended them and claimed they were real for 160 years and then finally admitted after much scientific vetting that they were not authentic. Then in the same breath they said Joseph Smith was never fooled by them. {:-D

I can't believe they had the nerve or gall to say he was never fooled by them after the statements made by him after his examining them.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Church Statement released on Race Relations  |  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:20 am
God of Mythbusters

Just goes to show everyone what to expect from Charlatans.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."