View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:20 pm

ajobrien
Post  Post subject: How can the LDS consider the temple to be so sacred ?  |  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:06 am
Sunbeam

How can the LDS consider the theier temples to be so sacred and holy? This is something that always puzzled me. I never made it into the temple past doing baptisms for the dead because I am a single female and that would let me go for my endowments until I was going to get married.

But the temple reccommend it's whole purpose is to keep the unworthy out and the worthy in, in order to maintain the sacredness of the place.

But what I observed as a member in my 2 short years in the church, is many of those who held temple recommends were not worthy to hold one, and who would continue to go back for the renewal interviews and lie during them.

So it is a simple question for for me if the people that you are allowing into the temple who are supposed to be worthy to be their and are not, does not that not effect the the whole sacredness part of the building that you are in? The sacredness of ordinances that take part there? Does it not take in to question the validity of the temple?

I will give an example of what I experience as a member during one of my VT sessions, my VT a younger mother of 7 childern, disclosed to me in coversation that her and her husband partook in smoking pot on a regular basis. Why she felt the need to tell me this and while we were in a VT session I had no idea, but she and her husband (who was the clerk) were both worthy temple recommend holders, and still are to this day.

So this is what I have taken from my experience. I don't think that the temple is really sacred holy place that people make it out to be, becauce everyone and their grandmother is lying to get in there and not keeping their covenents or the commandments.

I think what it really about is whether you pay your full tithe or not and then the big wigs are willing to over look the other little issues and pretend that they don't exist, as they pat you on the head and tell you try a little harder to do the things that you know that need to do better. In the end of course it is all about the money.

I don't think that LDS temples are any different than any other building built here on this earth, and I don't think that Heavenly Father or Jesus visits therm anymore often than they do my simple apartment.

It is all part of the charade, they just make money for the church, and they are a symbol used to brainwash and pressure unknowing members into the direction they want them to be.

Anyway that's my rant.

Amy

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: How can the LDS consider the temple to be so sacred ?  |  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:54 am

They consider the temple to be sacred because in the temple they are given what basically amounts to secret codes which they think are needed to get into Heaven.

It's almost like a club house, where you need to know the second passwords to get in. Only the LDS do it with what they call 'signs and tokens.' It's basically a series of handshakes, each of which have a coded name which goes along with them.

They are told that they will need to know these signs and tokens in order to get past the angels which guard the gates of the Celestial Kingdom. Without knowing them, they can't get in.

I guess that's one reason why they often tend to have such a superior "I'm better than you" attitude. To them, they're the only ones on earth who have this privileged information and who will get to go to the Celestial Kingdom.

They even do these ceremonies for their dead relatives, so that the relative's spirit can be there in the temple and also gain knowledge of these secret codes. Then they can get out of Spirit Prison and go to the Celestial Kingdom too. So to a Mormon, that is very important work. And doing this for their relatives is so vital, that it is downright sacred to them.

I know lots of people who are worthy to hold a temple recommend too. As far as individual worthiness and lying to get into the temple goes, I guess that would be a personal thing. They're the ones who have to live with their own conscience and deal with the god that they believe in concerning that.

But remember that they also believe in daily repentance. So they'd figure that they're only human, can mess up, but then repent at some point and everything will be fine.

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: How can the LDS consider the temple to be so sacred ?  |  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:50 pm

I know they've changed things yet again.
But how can I put my trust in a temple whose rites include stating a preference for having my throat slit before (or if?) I "reveal" such inane things as the phrase "the sure sign of the covenant." Is that phrase really so holy, sacred, secret, divine, trans-human, that a person should wish he would die rather than speak it outside of the bounds of the temple? I have seen many Christians and Muslims pray with their arms raised at right angles. But what if they pray like that in the Mormon temple, and I tell someone they do? Is that so grievous as to warrant me to lose the privilege of even entering the temple?

I don't mind ritual. Religions have rituals, and generally they don't cause me to erupt. But there are some things, that while they do not anger me, and there really isn't anything especially negative about them, are so odd as to nullify claims of sacredness - in my opinion. The dialogue and manipulations at "the Veil" are in this category. Is this truly necessary for receiving our endowments or whatever? Is this truly the true way we truly enter a true Heaven? If it is, it's much simpler than I thought, and I shouldn't worry so much about those old Ten Commandments, because once I get past that Veil, even with some uncomely thoughts on my mind, the struggle is over.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: How can the LDS consider the temple to be so sacred ?  |  Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:23 am
God

Hi Amy,

The LDS, my opinion, want to hold their temples as sacred and as important as the Israelites used to. The Ancient temple did indeed have a sacred place with limited access, strict rules of holiness, strict rules of behavior, distinctive ceremonies, etc. The temple of the old testament was special purpose for the welfare of the nation and for individuals. You can read about this in the Old Testament.

Jesus declared and Christians believe, the that Old testament temple was a foreshadowing of Jesus. It shows in it's design and usage many things about His life and where we are according to it. Jesus declared that the temple would be destroyed. When He died, the veil was rent giving all free access to the Holy of Holies.

The LDS claim to have a restored gospel. What they restore is a modification of the old testament law but without the depth and richness that one finds in the old old testament law. They have restored a peversion of a mix of grace and law. The law was glorious, Grace is more glorious, but this blend is a peversion (1 cor 7, for example)

The more I study the old laws and ceremonies and holy days, they less the LDS look like it.

So you mentioned that some people attend the temple and are unclean making the building unclean. The Bible records

1) How the priests of Aaron were cleansed. See Exodus 29 and Leviticus 8
2) How the temple was cleansed after being defiled. Ezra 6.
3) How a new temple is dedicated. See 1 Kings 8, 2 Chronicles 7

One might expect similar things in a "restored" gospel. One might expect to see how the old was a foreshadowing of the current Mormon Temple or how the current Mormon ceremonies predict endtimes. But that's not what we see. Instead we see a strong connection to Masonic rituals which also lack a strong Biblical Hebrew foundations. Instead the Masonic rituals have a much stronger connection to the Gadianton Robbers of the Book of Mormon.

As I study the book fo Hebrews, which was written to the Hebrews to show them how the Old law pointed towards Jesus. It shows how Jesus was the Great sacrefice, how He was the Great High Priest, how He was the Temple and many other things. Jesus is what the temple pointed to. He came ... there is not need to go back to foreshadowing because it's obsolete.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: How can the LDS consider the temple to be so sacred ?  |  Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Yes, there's that, too, Product, thank you.
Any comparison of any Israelite temple in the Bible, with the very purpose of the Mormon temples, and with what goes on in them, and what Jesus and his followers did not do in the way of "temple work," just plain falls so flat. The comparison fails. You either have to reject almost the entire Bible, or you have to reject almost all of Mormonism. I guess you could reject both. My point is not that either temple is right, but that the Mormon temple is definitely, demonstrable contra-biblical.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: How can the LDS consider the temple to be so sacred ?  |  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 am
God of Mythbusters

From my experience, the presence of so many temples is merely to enhance the practice of Simony that supports the whole LD$ mental paradigm. Its been calculated, that for every $1 spent on temple construction, $2 ultimately returns to corporate. And don't forget, that it pays big time, at the top of the feeding pyramid!

It also serves to give one the false feeling, or illusion, of being of far superior to any nonmember.

One maintains his or her "worthy" membership by continually jumping thru the hoops to maintain such position, and thusly give up their own identity to TSCC in trade for this grand mental illusion or false state of being.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: How can the LDS consider the temple to be so sacred ?  |  Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:14 am
God

As a Mormon, I used to consider a temple recommend as a best guess statement that I was in line for Celestial glory.
Well, if I honestly answered all of the questions.
Sometimes I stopped sinning in preparation for the interview
And fell back into sin not long after the interview.
And damn that "Miracle of Forgiveness" book by Kimball that declared that one new sin brings all the old sins back into force.

So yeah, you feel better unless you see your sin and then you just feel dirty and/or sneaky. Or at least that's how it worked for me. I was a pretty good Mormon.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17