View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:07 am

Redstone Harry
Post  Post subject: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59 pm
I assume many of you are also watching the news about Egypt what is going on in that country. I don't know much about what really goes on in the countries in that area. I read about ancient history, not modern politics.

One thing I keep hearing is that a large percentage of people in Egypt are under 30 years of age. They are young. I'm willing to bet many of them and many older people too are tired of being repressed.

I wonder if and how much the internet is playing in this revolt. I'm sure it's safe to say all young people want access
to the internet and free information. I bet, although I'm don't really know, this could be one of the motivating factors. Freedom, free discussion, free debate, watching youtube videos, nothing censored, movies and TV shows, no matter how dumb they are.

And I think about the LDS church and who leads it - old white men. They remind of suppressors somewhat who want very strong control over their people.

I've heard more than once from LDS members that the Church has things in common with Islam. I agree, there's polygamy and then there is total submission to the leaders of the church.

Censorship, all censorship is bad. I hope the Egyptians eventually win more freedom for themselves and are able to throw the chains of religion off their backs.

robinidaho
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:23 pm
This type of revolt happens when people are hopeless from repression. This all was triggered by a young man who had a college degree, but after six years his only way of making a living was by selling fruit on the street in his cart. The government came a took his cart away saying he didn't have the proper license or something. He was so hopeless he set himself on fire to protest. He lived for a few weeks. This was the final trigger.

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Sounds like America!
When they make kids close down their lemonade stands. Seriously.
Or won't give a man his college diploma because he made a calendar.

Dansdone
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:39 am
God

Quote:
I wonder if and how much the internet is playing in this revolt. I'm sure it's safe to say all young people want access to the internet and free information. I bet, although I'm don't really know, this could be one of the motivating factors. Freedom, free discussion, free debate, watching youtube videos, nothing censored, movies and TV shows, no matter how dumb they are.

And I think about the LDS church and who leads it - old white men. They remind of suppressors somewhat who want very strong control over their people.

Our young people today in the LDS are surely going to make a dent in the growth of the church when they are privileged to enjoy access to the freedom of information and free discussion/debate found on the internet. The old stale white men with the monotone voices of repetition will soon loose holt when the fact that it's all fabrication and lies coming from one source as in Joseph Freaking Smith. The Church finds it a task of prodigious proportion to hide the lies from the kids today like they did back when most of us were kids. The Internet is a wonderful thing.

How silly in the world today is it to think that if a person enjoys a cup of coffee they will never be able to obtain exaltation. That didn't make sense to me even back when, much less today with a free thinking society of smart kids full of probing questions.

neshama
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:42 am
:angry-banghead:

Abish
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:55 pm
Stake President

Redstone Harry wrote:
And I think about the LDS church and who leads it - old white men.

Prophets live long. :-D
Redstone Harry wrote:
They remind of suppressors somewhat who want very strong control over their people.

You have wrong idea. Nobody controls me. I am a member for 7 yesars. Nobody controls me.

Redstone Harry wrote:
I've heard more than once from LDS members that the Church has things in common with Islam.

Every thuth that is found on earth is FROM GOD. ALL the truth is part of Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Redstone Harry wrote:
I agree, there's polygamy and then there is total submission to the leaders of the church.

Actually, polygamy was practiced by House of Israel. And Moses was very strong LEADER. And there was total submission. It calls TO MAKE COVENANT WITH GOD and BECOME House of Israel. That is what covenant people do. That is what God of the Bible wants us to do.
He loves that His covenant people VOLUNTEERLY submit themselves like JESUS did ALL His life. Like Paul did, or Peter, or John, or christians of 1st century. WE ARE ONE WITH GOD. This means TOTAL SUBMISSION to God by doing what He asks us TO DO THROUGH HIS PROPHETS.
We SERVE God. He is our Master and He teaches us what He wants us to do that we can live with Him again. :-D

Redstone Harry wrote:
Censorship, all censorship is bad. I hope the Egyptians eventually win more freedom for themselves and are able to throw the chains of religion off their backs.

I agree.
:-D

Last edited by Abish on Fri May 13, 2011 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Abish
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:45 pm
Stake President

.. wrote:
How silly in the world today is it to think that if a person enjoys a cup of coffee they will never be able to obtain exaltation. That didn't make sense to me even back when, much less today with a free thinking society of smart kids full of probing questions.

it doesn't matter what we drink or what we enjoy. What matters that if we believe that God said: Do not do this" and we do not do it, we are obidient to God. Trought the obidience I will be saved by God's Mercy.
If someone said the he was TBM but never understood that, he probably never was TBM.

Last edited by Abish on Fri May 13, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Acoustic Autistic
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:55 pm
General Authority

I didn't realize that God ever rejected his children for wanting to know more.

It's not your call to say whether or not someone was once TBM or not. Even if it was, invalidating and marginalizing their experiences does nothing for your argument.

neshama
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:13 am
http://en.fotolia.com/id/2068869
Egypt has big bugs

we are all one with the divine
goddess head
:happy-hippy: :happy-jumpeveryone: :banana-stoner: :animals-cat: :happy-jumpeveryone:
goddess is returning to lds
bugs bugs bugs

Abish
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:21 am
Stake President

Acoustic Autistic wrote:

It's not your call to say whether or not someone was once TBM or not. Even if it was, invalidating and marginalizing their experiences does nothing for your argument.

Every TBM that I know understand that it is obidience that really matters and faith

Abish
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:48 am
Stake President

Acoustic Autistic wrote:

God doesn't reject His children even if they want to know not only MORE good and positive things, but even if they want to know THINGS OF THE WORLD that are not positive, but negative and evil.

Acoustic Autistic wrote:
It's not your call to say whether or not someone was once TBM or not.

Did I mention you that you got so upset? :-D
I don't decide who is TBM and who is not. I only say that people who think that it is what you drink or eat is important for exaltation are not TBMs. Or they are very very ignorant TBMs.
WE KNOW, we BELIEVE tht it is OBIDIENCE is important.
I do not drink coffee because I believe that God told me not to do so. And I promised Him that I will not do this ANY MORE. I am not weak, I am stong person. If I drank it before I can stop now.
I thank Thee Father that Thou teach me how to be strong, not weak and be in control. I am in control, not my body. :-D
This is why I love prophets. They give me great advices. Advices that only made my life more constructive. :-D
They never ever asked me to do something that would be evil or negative for me.
I am so happy and FINALY FREEEEEEEEEEEE :-D
Thanks Father that Thou brought me to the fold, to House of Isarel where I feel safe and loved. :-D

proudapostate
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:47 am
Don't you get it abish, obedience and faith are control. In fact, they are the strongest forms of control there is because you willingly hand it over. Religion is nothing more than the preying on of people’s fear of death. You’re not controlled? Baby, you have handed complete control over to the organization and will do whatever they tell you to do, to include interjecting yourself into a place where people come to get away from your particular line of thought.

Acoustic Autistic
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:56 am
General Authority

Abish wrote:

I don't understand this sentence. If you're trying to say that I was angry, I wasn't angry with you. I suspected that you were trying to insinuate that Dansdone had never been a real TBM. I live with people who invalidate my religious experiences and beliefs on a regular basis--in the name of the LDS church. I did not want to see that on this forum.

Abish wrote:
I don't decide who is TBM and who is not. I only say that people who think that it is what you drink or eat is important for exaltation are not TBMs. Or they are very very ignorant TBMs.

Ah, very well. I merely questioned your judgment on a hypothetical person understanding the ideal of obedience. It seemed that you were degrading Dansdone's experience, and it all that does for someone is lead you closer to personal attacks and farther away from real debate.

Abish wrote:
I am so happy and FINALY FREEEEEEEEEEEE :-D

That's your call and your decision; no one can take your own will away from you. :) However, all of us here have the freedom to speak according to the dictates of our conscience.

Abish
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:25 pm
Stake President

proudapostate wrote:
Don't you get it abish, obedience and faith are control. In fact, they are the strongest forms of control there is because you willingly hand it over.

Control is when someone is checking on me. So far nobody is checking on me. Control is when someone takes away my freedom to do something. So far nobody does it to me.
Faith is strong belief that makes me to do something.
Obidience is to do something according to my faith.
I want to be obidient beacuse I have faith.
proudapostate wrote:
Religion is nothing more than the preying on of people’s fear of death.

I am not afraid to die. I am afraid of painful death, I am afraid of pains of death, but I am not afraid of death.
proudapostate wrote:
You’re not controlled?

Nop.
proudapostate wrote:
Baby, you have handed complete control over to the organization and will do whatever they tell you to do, to include interjecting yourself into a place where people come to get away from your particular line of thought.

Baby, if this is true what you say, I still didn't notice. I feel free to do what ever I want.
It was MY decision to pay 10% of my income. I was in control when I decided that I want to do that. Right before my baptism.
It was my decision to keep Word of Wisdom, to accept ANY calling they will give me, to FOLLOW the prophet, to go to the temple, to read Scriptures every day, to pray every day, to go to Church. Those are MY decisions BEFORE I was baptized.
I am HAPPY with my decision, so far no regrets. And the best blessings I started to have in my life since I became part of House of Israel.
:-)

Last edited by Abish on Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abish
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:33 pm
Stake President

Acoustic Autistic wrote:
Abish wrote:

I don't understand this sentence.

I am sorry, you don't understand. Just, never mind. :-)
Acoustic Autistic wrote:
[If you're trying to say that I was angry, I

Nop
Acoustic Autistic wrote:
I suspected that you were trying to insinuate that Dansdone had never been a real TBM.

What you suspect is wrong. I didn't even think about Dan at that moment.

Acoustic Autistic wrote:
I live with people who invalidate my religious experiences and beliefs on a regular basis--in the name of the LDS church. I did not want to see that on this forum.

I don't know your religious experiences and I don't know you. So, relax. Nobody was talking about you. ;)

Acoustic Autistic wrote:
Abish wrote:

Ah, very well. I merely questioned your judgment on a hypothetical person understanding the ideal of obedience. It seemed that you were degrading Dansdone's experience, and it all that does for someone is lead you closer to personal attacks and farther away from real debate.

Sometimes what it seems is not what it is. ;) :-)
Acoustic Autistic wrote:
However, all of us here have the freedom to speak according to the dictates of our conscience.

Why are you telling me this? I don't care about dictaes of your concience. And I don't take from you your freedom. You are FREEEE to do or to say whatever you want, I will listen what you have to say.
:-D

Svjetlana
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:07 pm
Abish wrote:
Faith is strong belief that makes me to do something.
Obidience is to do something according to my faith.
I want to be obidient beacuse I have faith.

I am new here and apon lurking, I've decided to join in with this conversation. I am sorry but, in my book, "faith" does NOT "make" me do anything. It puts forth ideas and beliefs... Not obedience which is a form of control. Obedience comes from the word "Obey" which, by the DICTIONARY means "to submit or conform in action to (some guiding principle, impulse, one's conscience, etc.)." Submitting and conforming are all results of control. And for that matter, if your "faith" obeys you to harm another person, you would do it by your definition. It doesn't make sense. After all this world has been through, this country even... you still insist on blind faith that you will be saved by a book a Satanist [Joseph Smith] created out of "reading" rocks in his hat.

Colin
Post  Post subject: Re: LDS Church and Egypt  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:54 pm
Apostle

Redstone Harry wrote:
I wonder if and how much the internet is playing in this revolt.

Facebook post that sparked Egypt revolution

Cairo: A 26-year-old woman worried about the state of her country wrote on Facebook: "People, I am going to Tahrir Square". The message was soon to snowball into a movement to oust Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.

The Facebook appeal by Asmaa Mahfouz led to popular protests that saw tens of thousands congregating at Tahrir Square to demand an end to Mubarak's unbridled 30-year rule. Mubarak has said he is ready to step down at the end of his term in September, but has refused to quit immediately now.

Violent clashes during the protests have left six dead and over 800 injured.

Asmaa Mahfouz told Al-Mihwar TV (Egypt) that the first activity was on Facebook.

"Yes. I was angry that everybody was saying that we had to take action, but nobody was doing anything. So I wrote on Facebook: 'People, I am going to Tahrir Square today'. This was a week before January 25."

"I wrote that I was going to demand the...rights of my country. I wrote that I was 26 years old...," the Middle East Media Research Institute quoted her as saying in a report Thursday.

Read more:
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/facebook-pos ... 328-2.html