View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:36 am

rltkmkc
Post  Post subject: Family Search  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:34 pm
Nursery

Hello has anyone ever tried to remove their information from the LDS familysearch.com website? Today I saw on the history channel about the LDS storage facility at granite mountain. Searching the site shows some of my information. I'd like it removed just because. What's weird some of it lists my daughters (one born overseas), my wife's name spelled correctly and incorrectly, old addresses same town two different addresses, etc etc. I suspect a family member (brother) may have, updated the information given the errors. So has anyone tried for name removal from here?

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Family Search  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:10 pm
myself

This is something that I thought a lot about. Had I prepared correctly, I would have removed info from familysearch myself and unassigned ordinances before I was name removed and no longer had access. The majority of the names I had submitted, which were very many, had had all their ordinances completed anyhow as I had assigned names to the Temple for this.

I have not come across anyone trying to remove information from the site after the event, so to speak. There used to be people one could send challenges to, for example if you found that one of your lines that had been submitted by someone else had serious errors in it.

My sense is that no one who has an active testimony of genealogy is going to want to remove names. I think you would find this hard to do.

How I look at it now is that the site is just the grand hope to link everyone back to Adam, its just an exercise really. If you have family who are LDS, chances are the ordinances will have been done and taking the info off is not going to alter than anyhow and anyway, it is not real, so hasn't affected any of your family end of.

But it is an interesting area and it did trouble me for a while. Do post if you find other peoples views somewhere. I'd be interested to know. Thanks.

rltkmkc
Post  Post subject: Re: Family Search  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:42 am
Nursery

they had an email address, I wrote them an email asking for removal. I'll let you know what they say. It just annoys me they collect that information on people. Several other religions (Jewish and Catholic) have has their records removed, but apparently that is an ever ending battle. The whole baptism by proxy thing is weird too, but doesn't affect me.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Family Search  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:42 am
God

Just a guess, but they might think that your ancestors salvation is more important than your wishes/desires.

I think it's likely to be a hard battle. My guess again, but the successes have come because of the public outcry that comes out of Jews who died in the holocaust getting converted to Mormons without their consent. You don't have the same sort of story.

But, I wish you luck.

Just imagine if the 911 attackers had their temple work done for them (and who knows, maybe they have had it done) ... what a hornets nest that could stir up.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

rltkmkc
Post  Post subject: Re: Family Search  |  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:37 pm
Nursery

Yesterday I got a reply from Jennifer at Family Search Intl. "The concerns you’ve raised in your recent communication are certainly understandable.

Please recognize that FamilySearch respects the privacy rights of individuals and strives to adhere to all applicable laws. FamilySearch only publishes copies of records after gaining permission from the original record custodian (generally a government agency) and faithfully abiding by all of the stipulated conditions.

To address your specific request, please provide the URL or a screen-capture of the data in question. This is necessary in order for FamilySearch to distinguish between your data and similar data within FamilySearch’s sizeable database. Once you have provided this information, FamilySearch will carefully review your request and respond in a timely manner". I provided them the screen shot of the search with my six separate entries. Which in it self I find funny because my first and last name are definitely not common. No other names come close. So right now, I'm waiting and seeing what happens now.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Family Search  |  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:00 pm
myself

That's interesting, thanks. Do keep the Board updated.

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Family Search  |  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 pm

I used to brag that I'd had more people baptized than a missionary, because I'd submitted their names to the Temple. :icon-rolleyes: