View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:23 am

Drakshell
Post  Post subject: First letter back  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:56 pm
Nursery

Hi everyone, I am new here and recently emailed my letter of resignation to the membership office. Yesterday I got a letter stating the following in the mail and wanted to make sure this was normal. I am mostly concerned with them needing the local leaders to contact me.

"Our office has been asked to acknowledge your recent letter in which you request that your name be removed from the membership records of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

We have also been asked to inform you that the Church considers such a request to be an ecclesiastical matter that must be handled by local priesthood leaders before being processed by Church employees. Therefore, your letter and a copy of this reply are being sent to President _______ of the _____ Stake. He will have Bishop _____ of the ________ Ward contact you concerning the fulfillment of your request."

Thanks for the help :)

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:13 am
myself

Hi! Welcome!

That letter is entirely normal. The resignation process is solely an administration process. There is no need for concern at all.

Standard procedure is that the Bishop will contact you in order to check that you do wish to resign and are not being coerced, then he sends an email to membership records to say so and then you are out.

If you at all can, then I always think it is better to go along with the procedure as it will make it smoother for you. There are different ways of resigning now but you are in this pathway now so go along with it.

It may only take 2 weeks.

Standard expected time to process is 6/8 weeks. There is a difference because of human factors ie the Bishop may be on holiday or be a bit slower to act for example.

Membership records are not the enemy, they are helping you to have your name removed.

It is all fine, it will all be fine. Congrats on this stage of your journey.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:32 am
God of Mythbusters

More than likely, the "bishop" will be seeking confirmation of your request, so stick to it, even if he threatens fire and brimstone to you. You know what you know and that should be more than sufficient for you to weather his visit.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

Drakshell
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:09 pm
Nursery

That's what I had hoped. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:45 am
God of Mythbusters

Let us know how your meeting went, if that were the case. Lots of readers, including myself here, like to read of individuals recovering their own self empowerment.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

jsamueledwards
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:44 pm
Nursery

I got the same letter back too. Just remember, that if you don't want to meet with the Bishop or anyone else you don't have to. Legally speaking the letter to Membership Records is sufficient to qualify as a resignation. Anything else is just the Church acting on internal policy to maximize retention.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:11 pm
myself

Actually church policy is not to make anyones resignation difficult. All organisations have administration procedures. A lot of people are processed in 2 weeks now. Membership records are not the enemy. The good times are a'coming. :)

Amunet
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:49 pm
Nursery

Melanie wrote:
Actually church policy is not to make anyones resignation difficult. All organisations have administration procedures. A lot of people are processed in 2 weeks now. Membership records are not the enemy. The good times are a'coming. :)

Oh, that's wonderful news! I truly hope so ^_^ If they ever do hope to get members 'back', it truly does not bode well for them by making the resignation process so drawn out.

jsamueledwards
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:50 pm
Nursery

Hey Amunet,

How you decide to feel and respond to the Church's acknowledgment letter is of course entirely up to you. Either way, you have the right to accept or refuse the Church's interactions with you now that they have acknowledged your resignation letter.

There are points made by the Church and its resignation policy that are actually illegal according to American law, despite whatever improvements they've made over the years.

I took some time to write a response to my acknowledgment letter and I hope it helps you decide how you want to play things in your life. Best of luck!

http://jsamueledwards.blogspot.com/2016/11/lds-resignation-update.html

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:32 pm

At one point, I told the Stake Co-Vice-President, "I don't know where my last residence was, where my membership records would be, but at any rate, it's a different state. Just go ahead and process yourself." They did it after a little grumbling. Oh, yes, and after offering to "answer any questions" I might have. When I posed several doctrinal questions, they then told me those questions were "not essential to my salvation." They didn't answer a one of them, lying hypocrites!

Drakshell
Post  Post subject: Second letter  |  Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:06 am
Nursery

Thought I would post a quick update now that I am done entirely :D

So my local bishop attempted to come to my house twice I think. Unfortunately I was out both times and thus never spoke to him. Anyway, last night I got the second letter from the church stating that my records had been removed.

It's not much of story, all I did was wait, but I hope this helps. Thanks for your help!

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:07 am
myself

Congrats, that's great to hear, thanks :)

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Good going, Drakshell.

"Everyone has to find his own path." - Ip-Man

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: First letter back  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:23 am
God

Congrats!

And thanks for the feedback.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17