View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:14 am

jsamueledwards
Post  Post subject: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:50 pm
Nursery

Looking over the Name Removal Instructions on the Mormon Resignation website I noticed something that I'd not heard before and I'm looking for some clarification.

The website said: "Also know that while your name is considered "removed", you will still be counted among the alleged "14+ million" members until you are 110 years old."

I had never heard this before and to be honest this quite distresses me. I don't want the Church to include me in their boasted claims in General Conference about their grand numbers and I find it quite wrong and potentially illegal to include former members in the total count of current members.

Is this true? Does anyone have any links or sources that might shed some light on this problem?

Thanks!

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi. No one seems to know exactly how they count their numbers. I hope we're not still counted in there. That would annoy me.

But I do know that they keep their records on us. They're just moved to the archives. The reason we know that is if you want to be re-baptized, they just pull out your old records and restore your ordinances.

I guess it's no different from if we cancelled a credit card. We'd no longer be considered as a customer, but our file would still exist somewhere.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:09 am
myself

It was certainly true up to a few years ago but latest info is that since the mass resignations a bit ago, this has now changed and name removal files are not included in membership numbers. But I have no proof, of course.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:15 am
God

This is my guess.
They are under no legal obligation to give accurate membership record counts. As a result, they will arrange the numbers in any way they wish to look better.

What they have done is make the numbers even less visible. What was evident in the past is that if you really look at the membership numbers announced in General Conference, you can plot your own growth rate. The child baptisms far outpaced new converts. The growth rate was very close to stagnant. My guess is that recent resignations have made it zero growth or negative growth. Hard for such a church to roll forth like a stone cut from a mountain without hands.

A sobering thought ... Globally in a year to so there are as many deaths of children under the age of 8 then there are members of the Mormon church. Heaven, by their rules, will be populated with far more never Mormon innocents then it will be by Mormons who strive and struggle and endure to the end. Mormons will be the minority, by their rules.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

rltkmkc
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:12 am
Nursery

I recently found out I was still counted when two missionaries showed up asking for me. That got me puzzled as to why. Then A home teacher showed put that really angered me. So began the game of attempting to find out why. I finally got a hold of the stake presidents secretary who after several weeks confirmed and informed the local bishop and counselor to the stake president (local also and former bishop) that I wanted no contact.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:40 am
God

"NO Contact" isn't sufficient. It simply gets a mark by your record saying not to contact you. That mark is as effective as the members are obedient.

When I was a single Adults rep, there were several people on our lists that asked for no contact, or limited contact and we did what we could get away with. Sometimes it was having an older couple call or write them.

Even when you are no longer a member on their list, they might still have records of you and indicate that you are a former member. However, former members have no business being assigned home teachers. Missionaries may shows up at to visit members, non members and former members.

In my case, I've got kids with my Ex wife. I resigned, my current wife resigned, my kids signed to resign but we didn't get the ex to sign as well. The church handled my resignation, my wife's resignation but glossed over the kids. There was no statement that they were not granted their resignation. They weren't and the reason was that the Ex didn't sign too.

We learned about this when the missionaries came by and we asked them why they were there and they named my oldest daughter as being a member. Wife and I left Mormonism for Christianity and shared a great deal about what the Bible says about Jesus with them. They came back and we went through Romans with them for a while. Then they stopped coming because they had to get permission from their leaders and I think we shook them too much.

Anyway, sometimes they come by to visit the kids if they are still members though I don't know that that detail has any relevance to your case.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

jsamueledwards
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:25 pm
Nursery

Thanks for the responses guys. Now I'm curious about those of you who said you were contacted after your resignation...

Did you ever get one of those "Please Come Back" letters acknowledging your resignation and still have missionaries or home teachers contacting you long after the fact?

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:51 pm

I did get one of those letters, but I think that's standard when you resign. I haven't been contacted at all since I first went inactive about 13 years ago. I guess I wasn't very important to them, just being a single woman and all.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:08 am
myself

Speak the truth out loud when you resign, and make sure they know it, that is why I never received such a letter and am ''blacklisted'' in the missionaries contact book.

Of course along with that goes the shunning but hey I survived.

ananasparachute
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:23 pm
Nursery

That would royally anger me. Especially as my daughter was blessed and placed on their member rolls, and I specifically asked for BOTH her and I to be removed, as she is already a baptized Catholic and being raised that way. She is a minor, and if anyone didn't listen to me, I will sue.

I made it abundantly (politely and firmly) clear that I wanted no visitors, no missionaries, no home teachers, no members period coming to my home or contacting me. It has been (crosses fingers) obeyed thus far. Canada has strict privacy laws, so that might be part of it.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Still Counted As A Member After Resignation?  |  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:19 pm
God

Hi ananasparachute,

WRT your minor daughter ... they may require both your signature and her father's signature. I had a similar problem with my kids. They were older, but they signed and they were ignored because their mom, who had not attended in years, did not also sign. It was a silent process, LDS HQ didn't say they were rejecting the request. Make sure that you get confirmation on her.

And, since she isn't baptized and confirmed, maybe it will be easier. If you have a discussion with the bishop tell me clearly that you want her removed too and ask him if he will confirm that it's done and there is no trace of her on their records.

Peace