View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:55 am

rltkmkc
Post  Post subject: Resignation Snafu  |  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:42 pm
Nursery

My resignation was quite simple I thought. I hadn't been to church in thirty six years, so one day when a couple of guys from the church showed up at my door I explained to them I not longer wanted to play. They had me write a note resigning from the church. Later I got a letter from the church which I threw on my "pile" filing system. Well about a month ago a couple wet behind the ears missionaries came looking for me by name. I told them I resigned and too leave. That annoyed me, so dug though the pile and found the letter September 2013 name removal letter. Thinking the best thing to do was to mail a copy to the Stake president, found the address mailed it off. Post office returned it undeliverable. So I called the temple in St Louis , they told me that they couldn't give out the Stake presidents info so I could mail him directly. But I could sent it through the temple to the stake president, and gave me their address. Well I guess that didn't happen because last weekend three home teachers, came to my house and left a message on my answering machine. Thankfully I have a Ring doorbell could tell who they were. So I began digging through the LDS website and got the name and phone number of a few local bishops. Called one near the stake presidents ward and talked to him who gave me the number of his secretary. Called him, which turned out to half helpful. He confirmed my name was still on the rolls of the church, but he couldn't do anything but send a message to my local bishop. So I attempted to call the local bishop, he as of yet (called Saturday) hasn't returned my phone call. I went ahead and faxed a copy of my confirmation letter to the member records, asking them how this happened. Anybody got any other suggestions? Thanks Rodger

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Resignation Snafu  |  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:11 pm
myself

Hi! Well that's new to me! I'm sorry that happened to you. Seems like you're more than up to sorting the matter :) That's why I always felt better after I checked for myself, which is easy done by trying to set up a LDS ACCOUNT on lds.org or logging into your current account. But you do need your membership number for this nifty trick! If you're name removed obviously you can't do either as the membership number is void.

If I were you I'd just send the resignation email anyhow. That could all be over in less than 6 weeks whereas it might take longer to sort the old admin hiccup up. That'd save you any hassle.

msr-confrec@ldschurch.org

All the best with it.

rltkmkc
Post  Post subject: Re: Resignation Snafu  |  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:50 pm
Nursery

Melanie lol. Yeah when I quit going the church the internet wasn't a thing. I was only sixteen, no one ever told me lol my "membership number". Thirty nine years is a long time. I could probably get the number but I'm less than interested in doing so. I've kind of set some goals about how I'd like to see this resolved. (1) why wasn't it done right the first time? (2) if it was reversed who did it (I have a thought about that but will refrain)? Why aren't they just as mad I am about this? Now I've kind of put the local bishop on a time table for returning my phone call, a couple of days okay, beyond four plain just rude. Then I'll go to his boss, and his boss, and his boss. Someone will get the idea I can be a persistent as they are. They are kind enough to put phone numbers of bishops on their website someone will answer the phone and give me a number I can use. Stake Presidents secretary already know, not a hard reach to him. Don't have to login to use the find a church map and bishops phone number near you. I think I hold the moral high ground, and they should have checked before annoying a 55 year old military retiree with a PHD in information technology and a server in my basement. I have nothing but time.

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Resignation Snafu  |  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:47 pm

It took me 5 months to get out. My situation is posted around here somewhere.

I did find that it was necessary to keep following up. Not everyone has this sort of problem, but unfortunately for some of us, it's a major hassle.

Contrary to my nature, I found that I simply had to become a pest, until they couldn't wait to get rid of me. LOL

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Resignation Snafu  |  Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:26 pm
God

Hi Rodger,

The harder they make it to leave, the more they look like a cult. Share your story publicly if you wish.

As the story grows, forward it to each person you have to work with so they can see the trail of struggle you have had.

As Melanie comments, you may want to go straight to headquarters. They will still bounce your comments to locals because they have to have some information at the local levels to take you off lists, etc.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

rltkmkc
Post  Post subject: Re: Resignation Snafu  |  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:38 am
Nursery

LOL sorry for the slow response. I got a letter from the central office in response to my fax, they confirmed that my name in fact had been removed from their list in September 2013. The local bishop didn't call me back. Thinking of papering the local church with my letters from the church Sunday morning to get him to respond to me. Just kidding, it would be funny though. I've left a message with the Stake Presidents secretary again telling him I got a second letter from the church confirming my removal. Waiting for him to call back I'm going to request an address where I can send him the letters, to be forwarded to the Stake President to get him involved.