View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 am

karunya1008
Post  Post subject: Leaving after a short membership (3 months posts-baptism)  |  Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:20 pm
Nursery

Hi everyone! It's a pleasure to be here.

My story is fairly short. I will probably spend more time in resignation limbo than I actually spent as a member of the LDS church.

I was attracted to the church by a member at a difficult time in my life. I was thoroughly lied to about the tenets of the church while taking the missionary lessons. I began learning about the Temple process shortly after baptism, and it was at this point that i realized that I had left the historic Christian faith behind when joining the LDS church.

I stopped attending meetings, and I was immediately targeted for continuous visitation by various members of the ward. Even putting a sign on the door didn't prevent them from visiting at all hours of the day and night, thereby causing me to have a lupus flare-up due to lack of sleep. I've tried everything short of formal resignation to get them to leave me alone, so I am taking the path of resigning formally from the church.

I will send certified letters on March 30, 2016 to the Member Records Division, my bishop and stake president, and the people who keep knocking on my door when I am trying to sleep. I will have copies available for future visitors. I will take legal action if necessary.

I am feeling sadness and loss right now, because I will most likely be unable to my previous profession as a Methodist minister due to having renounced my ordination while in the grips of the LDS church. I set aside my profession to join this church, and I am now working part-time in retail with no particular future prospects at my age (54 years old). I am so grateful for my husband who, in undergoing the conversion lessons after my baptism, pointed out to me the huge discrepancies between the Methodist faith and the LDS church which had been glossed over (and which, because I must take responsibility for my own actions, I had willingly let them convince me about so that I could join the LDS church). His principled stand has set me free from bondage to this false religion.

I will read this forum regularly, and update this post as things happen during the resignation process.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving after a short membership (3 months posts-baptism  |  Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:52 pm
God

Welcome Karunya!

Congrats for seeing through it and kudos to your husband for helping point that out.

WRT the pestering contact, "Love Bombing" is typical when they think you might be slipping away. You were a pretty exciting conversion for them as it showed some superiority over the other churches. Your loss will be a big loss for them ... so lots of resources spent in keeping you. You can very firmly tell them that you want no contact and remind them that the more they resist this the more they look like a cult and that they profess to offer everybody the privilege to worship whomever and however they choose (Article of Faith #11).

As far as the job, I guess you do what you were gonna do as a Mormon until you can settle the Minister thing.

IMO, Jesus was surrounded by people to messed up again and again ... Look at Peter! Don't let that ride you down and don't let a religion have tougher entrance standards than Jesus has. You just encountered what Jesus warned of, false prophets, and you experienced how real this risk is. This experience will become something powerful and changing in you. You may not go back to what you had but then you aren't who you were either.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving after a short membership (3 months posts-baptism  |  Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:20 pm
myself

Hey, Ages ago now one of the moderators wrote something; it was miles before I joined but I read and reread previous posts and have been greatly supported by them. Which leads me to 2 points, firstly, yes, do read the Forum, there is masses on here and secondly, Abinadi wrote to a lass who was also a Christian prior to being baptised into the LDS church, small c, and he said words that remain with me.........you were never snatched out of the Father's hand, you just had wool pulled over your eyes for a bit. I am reminded of the Stuart Townend song 'In Christ Alone' and the lines...no power of man, no scheme of hell......
The majority of converts to the LDS religion come from a Christian background. Now you are going to have an awesome insight and in finding yourself in Christ alone, can shine the light and help in the education. You are loved by a love that will not let you go. It is so cool.

Happy Resurrection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWiFYJMGas0

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving after a short membership (3 months posts-baptism  |  Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:44 am
God

To pile on to what Melanie said.

Jesus was baptized and then immediately taken out alone in the wilderness.

Moses, before leading the Israelites out of Egypt spent time alone in the wilderness.

Paul did the same.

As did many of the other influential people in the Bible.

There is something raw about what you're going through, something where you get to be you and God and see what that's like without all the trappings of religion and the expectations of a congregation. You get the Matthew 10 experience ... that most of us don't generally like. But when all that other stuff is stripped away and all that's left is you and God ... when you find that He's enough you find peace.

Think about this like a second honeymoon for you and God.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving after a short membership (3 months posts-baptism  |  Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:13 pm
God of Mythbusters

Nice for you Karunya, to have the support to see it for what it really is.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

JonMinLoganUtah
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving after a short membership (3 months posts-baptism  |  Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:50 pm
Nursery

It will get better. I am sure you will find your spiritual calling again and be able to reach the others that need your help. The Church takes away so much. When you leave you will feel lost, because of what they take (time, family time, money, spiritual happiness, give you lots of guilt ). It will get better.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving after a short membership (3 months posts-baptism  |  Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:03 am
God

Jon,

It sounds almost like you're saying, that when they stop taking your time, family time, money, spiritual happiness, freedom and stop giving you guilt ... that when this happens you're going to have so much more time, family time, money, spiritual happiness, peace and freedom that you're not going to know what to do with it all. :)

Don't think I disagree with that at all :)

Peace

JonMinLoganUtah
Post  Post subject: Re: Leaving after a short membership (3 months posts-baptism  |  Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:14 pm
Nursery

Yes. The best part of me leaving the Church was finding out I am happier and more spiritual now than I have ever been. I read about other religions, practices, viewpoints and add them to my own life.

I am taking this year to be better. To better myself emotionally, physically and spiritually. Your journey will be great. Don't let others influence you, you do what you want. Its your life, not anyone else's. It is also your spirituality. No one is in charge of that.