View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:29 am

peaches2011
Post  Post subject: Backlash???  |  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:08 am
Nursery

The more I read and the more I learn the more I want to send in my letter but there's still the fear of losing people close to me that's holding me back. And I don't want to remove just my name but my husband's oldest son's as well. (My youngest hasn't been "blessed" so he has no records) Is there a lot of bad backlash in tight knit moron communities?

- Unknown

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Backlash???  |  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:24 am
God of Poly-Folly

peaches2011 wrote:
The more I read and the more I learn the more I want to send in my letter but there's still the fear of losing people close to me that's holding me back. And I don't want to remove just my name but my husband's oldest son's as well. (My youngest hasn't been "blessed" so he has no records) Is there a lot of bad backlash in tight knit moron communities?

Are you interested in becoming the 'steady-eddie' within your long term community of folks, without being troubled about this month's latest trend of insecurities?

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
........................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944

God of Poly-Folly Folly

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Backlash???  |  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:06 am

There are many stories of terrible backlash, while others come back to say that they were pleasantly surprised by their loved-ones reactions. It depends on the people involved.

I had no LDS family, so I was safe there. But one friend of 30 years instantly dropped me like a hot potato.

But no matter what the reactions were, there's no unlearning what you've learned. For myself, there's no way that I could continue to attend with the knowledge that I have now. I'd be miserable.

Sooner or later, the charade that you keep up for others would become exhausting and depressing. You're not responsible for other peoples happiness, nor can you live your life in a manner to please other people.

Be true to yourself and others can accept you as you are, or they can't. That's up to them.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Backlash???  |  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:54 am
God of Mythbusters

Peaches, sometimes, the backlash as you call or see it, just doesn't materialize, as we erroneously think it might. I would now call mine an unfounded fear that we see mentally, to let diminish or slow down our personal growth in our exiting process. Years ago, when I was learning about the Great Charlatan, I felt that I would lose my kids in the process.

But that turned out to not be the case, as two of them have followed my lead and left as well. It took a while for them to understand, but once they did, it happened. Both have told me recently, that there is no room for organized religion in their homes either.

Best thing I can offer to you, is to just be yourself, and the rest will follow.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Backlash???  |  Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:28 pm
God

Hey Peaches,

To fit in to the tight knit communities, you don't just have to fake it, you have to fake it well.

Because if you just follow along they are going to see that something is wrong. And they are going to wonder why you turn down the good callings. And they are going to wonder why you don't come to the temple anymore. And they are going to wonder why you don't pay a full tithe or do all your visiting teaching, etc. And they are going to begin to treat you differently.

So if fitting in is the goal, it's a choice between faking it all the way or moving on and the more you learn the harder it will be to fake it all the way.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

leftasteen
Post  Post subject: Re: Backlash???  |  Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:22 am
Sunbeam

I don't know your situation, but have you considered first exiting the "tight nit community."

Could you take a job in another area? Could you join a school, club, group, or team that are non-mormons?

My departure was easy because I had a full set of activities and social network that were non-mormons.

Any way you could make inroads on that first?

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Backlash???  |  Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:48 pm
God

Excellent suggestion Leftasteen.

If you anticipate a change over in friends, etc. Start finding some non-Mormon friends now before you take action that might jeopardize the relationships with the Mormon friends.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17