View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:08 am

SiggiChurchill
Post  Post subject: Haven't been to church in ten years.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:08 pm
Nursery

Hello all, I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I grew up in the church with my grandparents. However, I have not so much as entered a Mormon church in ten years. I was never baptised, per my mother's intervention (thanks, Mom.) However, I still frequently recieve letters and requests for tithing from the church, depite not being a formal member. I moved recently, and my grandfather provided the church with my new address without my knowledge, and I've begun recieving letters from the local branch. Since I am not a formal member, would I still need to send in a resignation in order to stop them from contacting me, or would that not do any good? What would be the best course of action in this situation?

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Haven't been to church in ten years.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:11 pm
myself

Hello. You can't resign membership when you are not a member. I wonder if you had a baby naming blessing and are on the roll through that? I would just tear any letters up, just your grandparents looking out for you. You could always write a letter back to the branch to tell them you are not interested if that would help you to feel assertive. Even when members have resigned, there are still records on file. It is just part of life and not important. Be happy.

SiggiChurchill
Post  Post subject: Re: Haven't been to church in ten years.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:39 pm
Nursery

I thought as much. It's just frustrating to suddenly recieve unsolicited mail from an organization I haven't associated with for so long, particularly when my information was given without my knowledge or consent. I realize my grandparents have nothing but good intentions. If it were my own home, I wouldn't mind so much, but I'm currently living with my husband's grandparents while we save up for a house. I wish they would have at least asked before giving out that information. Thank you, though.

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Haven't been to church in ten years.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:06 pm

I would send them a letter, basically stating, "I am not a Mormon. I'm not interested in your organization. Stop sending me mail."

Infymus
Post  Post subject: Re: Haven't been to church in ten years.  |  Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:18 am
Founder

Children in Mormonism who have been blessed receive a membership record and a membership number. They are not officially members until they have been baptized.

Usually you will not be harassed by the Mormons unless they have your name on record - with a membership number. That record is then sent to the local ward where you live. Once that record is there and you are not being counted among the "active", they will then seek you out and attempt to get you to come back indefinitely.

I would be curious to know if you have a membership number.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Haven't been to church in ten years.  |  Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:57 am
God

I would guess that grandpa's request is enough to get your local bishop to keep in touch with you as a favor. That's basically a referral and a warmer market then other places might be. They might be thinking that persistence and patience are key.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Haven't been to church in ten years.  |  Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:32 pm
God of Mythbusters

And like the Founder of the Mormon Movement, leave no stone unturned in their search for YOUR lucre....

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."