View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 am

fermat1313
Post  Post subject: My resignation  |  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:42 pm
Nursery

After reading from multiple sources, including this forum, I e-mailed my resignation from the church last Wednesday.

As a short intro, I was born in a conservative Mormon family, most of whom are still staunch believers. At the age of about 16 or 17 I realized that it was all BS and went to church as little as possible (despite graduating from BYU.) I stopped going entirely, but have never discussed my position with my family, and still haven't, except for my sister in law and my niece. I have had nothing to do with the church for about 25 years and never cared to resign.

A couple of years ago, I started listening to Mormon Stories, and later to Infants on Thrones, at the suggestion of a non-believing friend. Suddenly, I'm no longer disinterested. I learned so much more than I knew about how deep the cow dung flows, and have been wanting to officially resign. Interestingly, after telling my niece I resigned, she followed me and sent her resignation in on Saturday, though her is a bit more...blunt about some things.

To my surprise, I received a letter from the local bishop yesterday. I was expecting the worst, considering the stories I had read here and other places. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I would share the text with everyone.

Code:
Dear Brother xxxxxx

I received a copy of your letter that was sent to the Member Records Devision, LDS in Salt Lake City, in which you requested to have your name removed from the membership records of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  In accordance with the church policy outlined in the handbook of instruction I am sending this letter to inform you that this request is being processed and that your name will be removed and all future contact with the church will end thirty days from the date of this letter.

If you decide that you do not want this removal to happen, please contact the Stake President at the following address within the thirty day period.

<name and address removed>

As you indicated in your letter,  you understand the consequences of removing yourself from membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints at that is has the effect of removing all ordinances that have been performed on your behalf in this church.  Your baptism and confirmation and priesthood ordinances will be as if they never happened.

You need take no further action at this time.  In thirty days your name will be removed from the membership records of this church.

Sincerely...

Wow. I'm very surprised. No attempt to get me to talk with him. No imploring me to change his mind. I will say I'm pleased with how this is being handled. Off to hell for me!

Steve

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:50 am
God of Mythbusters

Well done Steve...IF there is a Hell, we'll both have plenty of company.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:31 am
God

Congrats Steve!

We didn't have much pleading, more of a form letter with an approved brochure.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

fermat1313
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:08 am
Nursery

Yeah, I didn't get the "Come back" letter or brochure, which is what I expected.

Thanks your support, everyone. And if there is a Hell, I'll gladly be there drinking beer and coffee with all of you!

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:23 am
God

The brochure comes from HQ and you might still get the letter complete with brochure as they kindly inform you that this is an ecclesiastical matter and must be handled by your local authorities.

(which is odd since the dictionary says "of or relating to the Christian Church or its clergy." ... it seems like they are not for handling church issues... )

Key thing, just don't let it throw you if SLC sends you a letter too. You're on the path. Legally you are out. If they need time to get their issues straight then that's their problem, not yours.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:51 pm

Wow, that was a lot easier and more pleasant than my past experiences were.
Congratulations on your decision to leave what could not meet its claims.

fermat1313
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:32 pm
Nursery

productofchoice, you were right. I spoke too soon.

Today I got the standard form letter and brochure from the church. Still I'm very encouraged that the bishop acted quickly and is honoring my wishes and I anticipate things will go smoothly.

I did a little research on my bishop and he seems like an upstanding guy. Outside of the church, I might like to get to know him.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:20 am
God

Hey Steve,

My bishop and SP were pretty solid people as well. They kept things as private as they could I think. People we bump into usually have not clue what happened to us and our reasons. Some stuff had to be said when they had to deal with callings, etc, because we had to be released and were no longer eligible for new ones.

Anyway, the local leaders, IMO, are often good hard working people who are doing their best to sail a broken ship.

Peace

fermat1313
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 pm
Nursery

Well, that was quick. Two days ago, I received the letter confirming my records were removed, dated Oct 12. That was 11 days from my first email to receiving my final confirmation. I was expecting a 4-6 weeks process, so this was delightfully quick.

Apparently the 30 day "required" waiting time is discretionary.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:52 pm
God

Congrats!

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:11 am
God of Mythbusters

You're being too nice Steve, thinking that waiting time is discretionary, as some of us have waited all our lives to be freed. For what its worth, and what I think, is that the membership records dept. is getting overwhelmed and is doubling down on their efforts to expedite and accommodate the exodus.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

Julian1066
Post  Post subject: Re: My resignation  |  Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:09 am
Teacher

I'm delighted that it went so flawlessly. Welcome to outer darkness and freedom unbounded!

"If you must pay to get into Heaven, it's not the Heaven for you."
"I don't know that we teach that."