View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:24 am

laurahill
Post  Post subject: Sent Letter... Questions about time and aftermath?  |  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:16 pm
Nursery

I recently turned 18, at which time I dug up an old file on my computer from about 4 years back with my resignation letter. I printed it out, signed it, and impatiently mailed it to Membership Records priority mail. USPS notified me that it had been delivered at 6:00 AM on Wednesday, September 23, 2015.

After this, my dad pointed out that in the church handbook, it states all resignation letters should go directly to the bishop. So because I did not mail it directly to my bishop, I think that will lengthen the process. I also have another conflict – I work/go to school, so I'm not home a lot. I still live with a member of the LDS church, who gets the mail when I'm not home. I'm afraid that they (if not already) will get a letter back and not give it to me.

So I guess I have a couple questions. How long does it usually take for Membership Records to respond with the "ecclesiastical matter" letter? Is it possible that I have already received it in the mail? How long will it take for my bishop to call me in and discuss how to proceed with the resignation? When will he receive a copy of the letter from Membership Records?

And lastly, who exactly will find out? I live in a very tightly knit community, and most of my dear friends and neighbors are LDS. I am very close to many of the young women leaders in the ward and steak, and the stake president and his wife. Is my bishop going to tell all of the leaders? Will I still be able to go to church activities with my neighbors and friends or am I going to have to cut ties with all my LDS friends and neighbors?

It pains me that LDS members look down on this sort of thing, and it may cost me a lot of great relationships I have built over the years. Since this is a big part of my life and something that I have been looking forward to doing for quite some time now, I am still going to go through with it, even if it means I have to lose some friends.

At this point, I just want answers. And I want to get this done. The church has instilled fear in me from the time I was born, which has prevented me from experiencing a lot of life. Thankfully I've been able to see clearly, and I don't think that I am brainwashed anymore. I realize that as a woman, I am more than just a portal for more men to come into the earth and tell me what to do. I realize that mistakes are not sins, they are learning and growing opportunities, and one should never have to repent for something so basic and vital.

In this process of doubting the church and searching for truth, I have learned so many different and new ideas about human life and evolution, philosophy and the idea of God and spirits, social issues (in which the church is overly involved), and how to live life in general. All of these ideas are to be explored by every individual human being for him/herself only. The church inflicts their perspectives and opinions regarding these ideas on members, and makes them believe that there is only one outlook on each of these essential aspects of life.

I hope that through leaving the church, everyone on this forum can experience these realizations and create their own opinions on these wonderful aspects of life. Never again should we allow people tell us how to think and how to live. It is a violation of our human rights.

Anyway, thank you for reading, and hopefully I will hear back on some of these questions about time and the aftermath of it all. Thanks for taking the time to read and post on this forum! I know dozens of people who it has helped and comforted, myself included.

newname
Post  Post subject: Re: Sent Letter... Questions about time and aftermath?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:29 am
Nursery

You are a sweetheart, thank you for posting. Welcome.

You have notification from USPS, they have received your letter, your father is incorrect there. All is fine. Personally I prefer to recommend the email system msr-confrec@ldschurch.org but you will be fine.

It is not always so that the eccl. matters letter is sent. Administration procedures are changing all the time and I know plenty of people who did not receive this letter.

The procedure is that membership records need to contact your bishop, who needs to ensure with you that you are not being coerced and that you are resigning of your own free will. He then sends a mail, back to membership records also via the Stake, then your membership is disabled.

Sometimes the individual bishops like to sit on the process.

Standard recommendation of time length advised by membership records itself is 6/ 8 weeks for the process to be complete.

In 6 weeks time if you have not heard anything from the bishop, then contact him, if you feel able, to ask where the process is at.

But they will not like to make it hard for people to resign now as it makes them look even more like a cult.

You can check the progress yourself by trying to log in to your LDS account using your LDS membership number and DOB or try to set one up if you do not have one. If you can't, then you are out.

That happened to me, they never sent any final confirmation letter to me but I persisted as it is our legal right to have one and eventually the bishop wrote me a confirmation.

So you can see that people in the Ward and Stake will know and people talk. However, I can see that you are very strong and It is my belief and experience that the bishop etc will not unnecessarily tell people because you have good strong reasons for resigning and they don't like that. They like to pretend to others in the Ward/ Branch that folk have just gone inactive.

I am very pleased to have met you. You go girl and change the world for all of us. Thank you for the comfort that you have brought to the Board today.
Melanie