View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:51 am

kgdmwork
Post  Post subject: Can I effectively resign from the church through e-mail?  |  Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:25 pm
Priest

I'm interested in possibly resigning from the church, using a sample letter from this site with my own additions. Would it be effective to send this to msr-confrec@ldschurch.org? Or do I have to sign it like the sample letter says?

Below is my letter:

Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

This letter is my formal resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and it is effective immediately. I hereby withdraw my consent to being treated as a member and I withdraw my consent to being subject to church rules, policies, beliefs and 'discipline'. As I am no longer a member of your earthly organization, which is a corrupt denomination, as per the word of the Lord. I want my name permanently and completely removed from the membership rolls of your earthly church, which you run according to human wisdom rather than the wisdom of God, seeking to excuse all manner of worldliness.

I have given this matter considerable thought. I understand what you consider the 'seriousness' and the 'consequences' of my actions. I am aware that the church handbook says. And I've already discussed this with the Lord. You are not living the law of the Lord and He has no respect for your vain oblations, for you are like Israel of old as described in the first chapter of Isaiah. You seek to dictate to the Lord instead of obeying Him.

These are my reasons for having my name removed from your earthly records:

(1) You seek to please yourselves rather than the Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.
(2) You do not honor Jesus Christ as LORD, but seek to relegate Him to some corner while elevating another member of the Godhead above Him, which is against all scripture. It is a blasphemy to which the Holy Spirit strenuously objects. And, effectively, you are really trying to seat yourself on God's throne instead of bowing before the one and only LORD.
(3) Your names are not written in the Book of Life when you oppose the Lord and demean Him in this manner.

My resignation should be processed immediately, without any 'waiting periods'. I am not going to be dissuaded and I am not going to change my mind, as the Lord Himself has told me that your hearts are far removed from Him, and I know it to be accurate.

I expect this matter to be handled promptly, with respect and with full confidentiality.

After today, the only contact I want from the church is a single letter of confirmation to let me know that I am no longer listed as a member of the church.

Sincerely,

My signature
My name, printed

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Can I effectively resign from the church through e-mail?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:09 am
myself

Yes, use that email.

Send it like a usual email so the signature is your name in type.

Absolutely no point in writing out your reasons. If you write them in bullet points then the apologetics teams try to use them for their addressing of problems, well that is the hype but who knows. Anything written in sentences is simply ignored. I know this from someone who works in the office.

They don't care about you personally or what your reasons are.

It is better to treat this like an administration procedure just the same as any admin procedure. And politeness works.

You know that the Stake and Ward are informed because of the way the procedures are administered? The bishop may very well wish to contact you, this is normal, procedure. You will have to take it step by step over the anticipated 6/8 weeks from you sending your email in.

I am glad you are resigning. All the very best with it.

SCMormon
Post  Post subject: Re: Can I effectively resign from the church through e-mail?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:30 pm
Nursery

I got my resignation letter back around Jan 10th. Takes about 2-1/2 months and as long as you tell them you want no contact they will leave you alone

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Can I effectively resign from the church through e-mail?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:43 pm
myself

Hey, did we even say Congratulations SCMormon.

Congratulations!

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Can I effectively resign from the church through e-mail?  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:19 pm
God

KGDM,
I used the traditional mail system.

I sent letters to both SLC and the local Bishop.

SLC will say that it's a local matter and send you a form letter.

Locals will try and contact you to make sure.

Locals will also have to release you from callings... so while you ask for them to keep it quiet, some awareness that you are released and that you are not a candidate for other callings will exist. People are involved in it so your results will be a unique as your people. That said, I think our locals did a good job of keeping things quiet.

In general, LDS Leadership is served better by keeping things quiet. They are better off if you drift away than if people hear that you resigned. Your reasons are things they will not want to know or to have known. The might read the letter. As others have shared, keeping it short is important. Keep the bullet items clear and simple. Keep if factual and to the point. "I" statements are easier to process than accusations and generalizations.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

kgdmwork
Post  Post subject: Re: Can I effectively resign from the church through e-mail?  |  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:23 pm
Priest

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your help.

Julian1066
Post  Post subject: Re: Can I effectively resign from the church through e-mail?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:42 am
Teacher

I did it by email. I also sent a scan of my state ID and told them to consider that my electronic signature (so they wouldn't suspect it was a bogus email and send someone to check). Best three minutes that I ever spent on anything!

"If you must pay to get into Heaven, it's not the Heaven for you."
"I don't know that we teach that."