View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 am

Author Message
Post  Post subject: Write Your Resignation Letter  |  Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:35 am
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:30 am
Posts: 2147
Location: Utah

The first thing you need to do is write your formal "Resignation Letter". You can find links to sample letters here in this forum. This letter requests to the LDS Church Membership Records that they remove your name from the records of the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints.

Mail all letters to:

Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

801-240-2053 - Phone
801-240-1565 - Fax
1-800-453-3860 ext 22053 - Toll Free

NOTE: There have been email addresses floating around for Member Records to resign - but these are unconfirmed. One day they work, the next day they are being rejected. It is best to send by mail/post.

If you and your spouse are resigning at the same time, be sure to include both of your names on the letter. If you have any children under the age of 18 and wish to have their names removed as well, simply add their names to the letter. If you have any children under the age of 8 years old (who are considered "Members Of Record" if they have been blessed in a Mormon Sacrament Meeting), simply list their names as well, otherwise they will be hounded by Mormons as they get closer to the age of baptism (age 8).

Sample letters are provided on the menu here under "Resources".

Be sure to provide FULL NAMES and BIRTH DATES of anyone resigning.

It is recommended that you have your letter notarized if it is possible. In the United States you can find a notary at any bank, and if you have an account there they will usually do it for free. You may wish to skip notarization if you have several children listed as each one must be accounted for although unable to physically sign any documents due to being minor children.

It is also recommended that you send your letter using "Return Receipt" mail. With the United States Postal Service sending a letter using return receipt usually only costs a dollar or two more than regular mail. This gives you proof that the LDS Corporation has received your letter of resignation.

You do not need to send a copy of your letter to your Bishop or Stake President. Membership records will automatically send copies of your letter to your current Bishop and Stake President - even if you have moved and have never stepped foot in the local Ward house.

Never send your letter directly to the Bishop or Stake President. Always send your letter to Membership Records.

Read: MormonCurtain. Resign: MormonResignation. Recover: ExMormonForums.

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:   

Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.