View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:27 am

erin119
Post  Post subject: Recommendations?  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:28 pm
Nursery

I've been working on some self-therapy to help undo the damage I grew up with in the Mormon cult. I am better than I was when I first started to question my faith, but I find that there are still hurdles that I run into. One thing that I've learned is that self-help books can be awesome in giving advice for dealing with...how to put it... unwanted brainwashing? The teachings, feelings of guilt, and other bad habits that were taught as a result of participating in the religion? I'm not quite sure what the term for that would be... Anyway, I've learned about a book called "Leaving the Fold" which I'm interested in reading. And it made me wonder: Is there a book or article out there that helped or continues to help you as these unwanted thoughts keep resurfacing in your mind? I know that there are therapy methods that professionals can help with, but I'm still looking for one that I can feel comfortable talking to about it.

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Recommendations?  |  Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:42 pm
God of Poly-Folly

erin119 wrote:
I've been working on some self-therapy to help undo the damage I grew up with in the Mormon cult. I am better than I was when I first started to question my faith, but I find that there are still hurdles that I run into. One thing that I've learned is that self-help books can be awesome in giving advice for dealing with...how to put it... unwanted brainwashing? The teachings, feelings of guilt, and other bad habits that were taught as a result of participating in the religion? I'm not quite sure what the term for that would be... Anyway, I've learned about a book called "Leaving the Fold" which I'm interested in reading. And it made me wonder: Is there a book or article out there that helped or continues to help you as these unwanted thoughts keep resurfacing in your mind? I know that there are therapy methods that professionals can help with, but I'm still looking for one that I can feel comfortable talking to about it.

Self help books can take you somewhat far along, don't stop there though. Look into CPTSD, and give yourself a lot of room, after a while you're going to find yourself relating very well with others who have maybe experienced CPTSD too.

Life is good, find out again who you are.

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
........................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944

God of Poly-Folly Folly