View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 5:23 pm

OldCowBones
Post  Post subject: Hello from a recent convert to the church!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:31 pm
Nursery

Hello all!

I've written, re-written, and re-re-written this introduction post about as many times I've written, re-written, and re-re-written my resignation letter! I'm not sure what to say about myself really. I've been a member of the church for about six months and was an investigator for about six weeks before that. I'm already ready to escape.

My story in a nutshell: I was taught the sweet, soft serve ice cream version of the church by some rather "relaxed" missionaries. I fell for it. When I was baptized I had a very skewed idea of what the church was. Since then I've found the church to be aggressive, invasive, intimidating and spiritually exhausting.

I hope to get my resignation letter sent off fairly soon.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello from a recent convert to the church!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:13 pm
myself

You can do that in a few minutes!

msr-confrec@ldschurch.org
Subject: Resignation of membership in LDS church

My full name is ______; my date of birth is ____________ . [I was baptized on ___(date). My membership number is ______.]
My residence address is _______ [in the ________ ward/branch].

I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, effective immediately, and request you to remove my name permanently from your membership records. I wish no further contact from representatives of your church except to confirm that my name has been removed from your records. I expect to receive that confirmation within a reasonable time.

You don't actually need the membership number, but include it if you have it.

There is no need for anything further, no reasons, emotions or intelligent discourse, keep it simple, this is resignation, an administration process and not therapy!

Welcome to the Forums. 6 ish weeks is still standard but 2/ 3 weeks is quite usual now for you to be resigned within. Congrats for your future. Good decision.

Rainfeather
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello from a recent convert to the church!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:26 pm

Congratulations on figuring it out early. It took me 30 years to get out, after being baptized at 17. They kept me in with fear, I guess.

"Spiritually exhausting" is such a perfect way to put it.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello from a recent convert to the church!  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:30 pm
God of Mythbusters

Just curious as to what instigated or initiated your decision to vacate/leave the fold? ( Besides that mentioned spiritual exhaustion issue)

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello from a recent convert to the church!  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:44 am
myself

OldCowBones, I thought that was a brilliantly worded reply to t2 that you posted yesterday. I also understand that these recovery times can make one feel very much on view. That's OK. Let us know how you're getting on when you want to. :) we'll certainly be waiting to hear.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello from a recent convert to the church!  |  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:44 am
God

Welcome OldCowBones!

If a person is unwilling to reconsider your position when presented new information, we might call that pig headed. If a person is unwilling to admit that they were wrong or fooled, people might consider that pride.

I'm glad you're neither prideful or pig headed.

Good to have you here.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17