View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:55 pm

spyder
Post  Post subject: Intro  |  Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:08 pm
Nursery

I was born into an LDS family, and was baptized at age 8. I attended church dutifully and cheerfully, for the most part, until age 15. That's when I decided that if this was going to be my religion I wanted to be the one to choose it, and not do it because it was the religion of my parents. I made an agreement with my mom that I would continue attending seminary, but I didn't have to go to church on Sundays if I chose not to.

Jump to ten years later and I get the notion that I want to start attending church again because it's the right thing to do. That was more than 10 years ago, and ever since then I have felt an inner struggle between my head and my heart. My head doesn't believe what the church teaches is true. My heart feels good though when I go to church and mingle with the people. I still have a tender place in my heart for Jesus, though I don't believe he is divine.

I now attend when I want to, which isn't often, just a handful of times per year. I am comfortable with my simple beliefs right now. I pray to Jesus as an embodiment and symbol of goodness and love and that's about as complex as it gets for me these days. When I do attend church I feel more questions and more conflict than when I don't attend. I have found peace in not attending church.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Intro  |  Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:51 pm
God

Welcome Spyder!

Jesus said that the time was coming when believers would not worship on this mountain or in Jerusalem but would worship in spirit and truth and that the Father seeks such. I take it from this (John 4) that you're doing it right... that there is no obligation to have your body be in any particular building or location because your heart is in the right place.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

richkelsey.org
Post  Post subject: Re: Intro  |  Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:10 pm
God of Elves, Seer Stones and a Hat

spyder wrote:
I was born into an LDS family, and was baptized at age 8. I attended church dutifully and cheerfully, for the most part, until age 15. That's when I decided that if this was going to be my religion I wanted to be the one to choose it, and not do it because it was the religion of my parents. I made an agreement with my mom that I would continue attending seminary, but I didn't have to go to church on Sundays if I chose not to.

Jump to ten years later and I get the notion that I want to start attending church again because it's the right thing to do. That was more than 10 years ago, and ever since then I have felt an inner struggle between my head and my heart. My head doesn't believe what the church teaches is true. My heart feels good though when I go to church and mingle with the people. I still have a tender place in my heart for Jesus, though I don't believe he is divine.

I now attend when I want to, which isn't often, just a handful of times per year. I am comfortable with my simple beliefs right now. I pray to Jesus as an embodiment and symbol of goodness and love and that's about as complex as it gets for me these days. When I do attend church I feel more questions and more conflict than when I don't attend. I have found peace in not attending church.

Hey spyder.

I wrote an article about Jesus Christ called: Who Is Jesus Christ? — A Biblical Case For The Real Jesus
http://richkelsey.org/jesus_christ.html

I believe it is the most unbiased, accurate work on the subject, out there period.

The first page and a half, if you read it, should convince you that the traditional views of Jesus are dead wrong. And, It was written for people just like you who are seeking truth.

Welcome to the board.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Intro  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:26 am
myself

Hello!
When I was first challenging the LDS doctrine in my head and coming away from Mormonism, I spent what seemed an agonising time trying to find out and re discover actually who Jesus is and this time was confusing, people said very different things to me and it all seemed a muddle and made me sad because I just wanted to clearly know who He is.

I knew that I did not want to believe that He is a created being, as LDS doctrine says, but that was my only foundation, so it seemed.

However, a few years on and my story is that He was holding me all along. He is who He is and actually how we view Him doesn't actually stop Him being who He is, and it is His joy to reveal to us bit by bit some part of His wholeness and the wholeness that He can give to us if we choose it.

And that is Grace.

You have a wonderful journey ahead of you and probably with loads of twists and turns (or was that just me :icon-rolleyes: !)if you fancy exploring it.

It is all about Incarnation and it is a good time to be resting in that after all. Happy Christmas.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Intro  |  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:19 am
God of Mythbusters

Hey, Spyder, you're not alone in your feelings about organized religions, as many others here, including myself, find themselves the happiest the further away they get.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."