View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 pm

ananasparachute
Post  Post subject: An ex "golden contact"  |  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:54 am
Nursery

Hi everyone,
I was a Mormon for almost a year. That was enough. I went back to the RC Church in february 2016. I am a liberal Catholic and happy where I'm at. I don't agree with all church dogma, but the RC Church doesn't ram it down your throat like the LDS does, in my experience. Most of the parishes here are quite liberal.

I was (and am again) a Catholic and was happy with where I was. I joined the LDS church after a year of discussion with a Mormon friend online (there is about 2%, I would wager, of a Mormon pop.where I live). I came gung-ho, well prepared, and asked to be baptized on the first meeting with missionaries. Everyone adored me: I got a choice calling right away, many opportunities to speak in sacrament, and was love bombed to the point that I was brain washed by these new people. They were all very nice and amazing and willing to help me at the drop of a hat: i didn't realize it came at a price.

My whole life became , and was expected to be, church. 3 hours on Sunday. If i didn't show up, i got a flood of emails or voicemails that people were "concerned" about me. Home teaching in a dangerous area of town , with a family with multiple issues, where they expected me to bring my toddler daughter (hell no) and to basically be a social worker (what I am trained to do) for free. Church socials, volunteering, family history, temple visits (7 hours away and up at the crack of dawn to go.). My husband never joined and I kept being bombarded with "ideas to bring him to church". He was still a Catholic, but they kept "suggesting" (I noticed they always "Suggested" in a passive aggressive way) that i get him to come to services, read the book of mormon, yadda yadda.

When i left, via email, they bascically said they were in shock and mourning. As if i had died. which i guess i did in their eyes. Resignation letters,etc etc it felt like i was getting some kind of divorce.

I feel like the world's biggest idiot for falling for it all hook, line, and sinker: I'm well educated, normally a skeptic and a feminist to boot, but turned into Molly Mormon after a couple months. They caught me at the right time.

Thanks for these boards!!! I was honestly too afraid to post at first as leaving felt like escaping the grips of a cult. I'm sure many of you can relate.

Namaste.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: An ex "golden contact"  |  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:30 am
myself

Hello there! Welcome!

Oh Yes, very familiar and of course....... you felt that way because that is exactly what you did do, escape from a cult.
Congratulations......your light and being (and His) shone through and led you out.

The Lord said : I think thoughts of peace and not affliction. You will call upon me, and I will answer you, and I will lead back your captives from every place. (Today's antiphon)

erin119
Post  Post subject: Re: An ex "golden contact"  |  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:56 pm
Nursery

ananasparachute wrote:
=Everyone adored me: I got a choice calling right away, many opportunities to speak in sacrament, and was love bombed to the point that I was brain washed by these new people. They were all very nice and amazing and willing to help me at the drop of a hat: i didn't realize it came at a price.

My whole life became , and was expected to be, church. 3 hours on Sunday. If i didn't show up, i got a flood of emails or voicemails that people were "concerned" about me. Home teaching in a dangerous area of town , with a family with multiple issues, where they expected me to bring my toddler daughter (hell no) and to basically be a social worker (what I am trained to do) for free. Church socials, volunteering, family history, temple visits (7 hours away and up at the crack of dawn to go.). My husband never joined and I kept being bombarded with "ideas to bring him to church". He was still a Catholic, but they kept "suggesting" (I noticed they always "Suggested" in a passive aggressive way) that i get him to come to services, read the book of mormon, yadda yadda.

I know these moves all too well. It's how they get people interested in the church. Chances are if you had stayed longer, that attention would have died off, and you would be "just another member" in their eyes. You're lucky to have gotten out of there after a year. They would have tried their hardest to indoctrinate your daughter, since they know full and well that it starts at a young age. And trust me when I say you did her a huge favor getting her away from all that.
I was born and raised in the church. I too found that their "kindness" came with a price. I made sure to never ask anyone for favors, or to leave owing someone something because they would definitely collect on it if they knew they could get away with it. Unfortunately, my family is this way as well. They don't do favors for each other without it coming with a cost, and sadly I've found that many Mormon families are like this. Because of this behavior, I now deal with trust issues as an adult. But that's their choice, they decided that's how things were going to be on their own. I'm happy that you've found comfort in your chosen faith, and I wish you well as you work out what you had to deal with from them. I've no doubt that you won't ever regret having left.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: An ex "golden contact"  |  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:47 am
God of Mythbusters

So glad to read that you cut the strings that bound you and especially your daughter so efficiently!! Nice release..

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

ananasparachute
Post  Post subject: Re: An ex "golden contact"  |  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:10 pm
Nursery

Thanks all.

I was especially concerned for my daughter. A big red flag was that at two years old (at the time) I was told the jumper she was wearing was "getting too short". Who the heck notices the length of a toddler"s skirt? That royally freaked me out. It also bothered me that she was expected to sit still and stay in our pew the whole time when she was/is an active kid and got bored at sacrament meeting easily (me too! haha). We got the stink eye or snickers if we ended up walking around/running around in the foyer instead, and i got sacchrine-sweet "suggestions" of "how to keep her busy" during sacrament meeting (or, in other words, suggesting I wasn't doing the right thing and needed to keep my two year old quiet.). She. was. two. Books and snacks and toys (all of which i'd already tried) don't work on toddlers in church if they're determined not to sit still. One lady told me that her kids had been trained from birth to be held while they read the Book of Mormon to them. I found that creepy...most little toddlers don't want to sit through a long kids' book, let alone be read scripture they can't understand.

At two, I never expected her to sit still or listen during sacrament. Ridiculous. At our current churches we attend (RC, we attend a few depending on what time we can get to church) no one cares if she chooses to play or run around in the foyer. One church even has a specific children's room with toys and games where i can sit with her and still listen to the Mass. We might get the stink eye from a couple little old ladies, but that's it, and you get that anywhere.

My mom was so grateful we got out in particular. She said she could see me morphing into someone I wasn't, and was concerned about the values my daughter was being exposed to.

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: An ex "golden contact"  |  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi there, ananasparachute.

If you aren't already a member of Catholic Forums at
http://forums.catholic.com/,
you might enjoy the non-Catholic section,
as there is often talk there, between Catholics and Mormons.
Some of the Catholics are ex-mormons.
They really know their Mormon stuff well.
Most Mormons whither. Others have such an abundance of C.D. (cognitive dissonance),
that God himself could not dissuade them from their ungodly beliefs.
Some of the other areas are also interesting......

ananasparachute
Post  Post subject: Re: An ex "golden contact"  |  Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:11 pm
Nursery

Hi Abinadi,
Yes, Im a member there. Thanks.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: An ex "golden contact"  |  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:21 pm
God

Welcome!

Many of us "Golden Contacts" at one time. We learned and left.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17