View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 am

snoopydaniels
Post  Post subject: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:46 pm
Nursery

Greetings everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. As the topic implies, I'm a non-Mormon with an interest in the spiritual well-being of Mormons and Ex-Mormons alike. A few churches in my area just wrapped up a week-long stint at the local county fair running an outreach tent. On Thursday night, a young lady approached me asking what we were all about, and announced that she was LDS. We had a long and very productive conversation, which continued the next day with another four-hour conversation. By the end, it seemed pretty clear that she was beginning to seriously doubt her beliefs. Her pain was palpable, and we felt horrible for her.

This isn't the first time I've encountered Mormons while out sharing the Gospel, and I thought it was high time that I get a good grip on Mormonism and the history of the Mormon church so as to be better equipped to help them. I already knew quite a bit about Mormonism because I used to listen to Glenn Beck regularly, and this had inspired me to learn more about Mormonism. But my knowledge was still pretty shallow.

I already feel uniquely equipped to help Mormons. In the case of the young lady from the fair (I'll call her Katherine,) an instrumental part of helping her to see the truth was the contrast she saw between Joseph Smith and a true prophet from the early 20th century named William Branham. Unlike Smith, William Branham affirmed the deity of Christ and had literally thousands of fulfilled prophesies to his credit, most of which are recorded, in his own voice, in the form of audio and video. There could not be a more stark contrast between them.

I'm sure the very word "prophet" leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many ex-Mormons (to say the least!,) and yet, prophets are a critical part of the economy of God. Where there is a counterfeit, there is always a real. In this case, seeing the real allowed Katherine to easily identify the counterfeit.

Perhaps this isn't the forum for someone like me, and if so, I'm willing to yield to the rules and moderators of the site. But if there is any way I can be of service, I hope to do so!

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:16 am
myself

Hi, Welcome!
I totally support your efforts and was benefited greatly by such a ministry myself.

However you lose me when you talk about another man proclaiming to be a prophet. And that certainly would not help anyone who is quite firm in being LDS to have a seed planted that might make them question Smith.

Whereas with Jesus Himself..........now that is a whole other story.

There are evangelists on this site, I only speak for myself, perhaps they will give their thoughts too.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:40 am
God

Hi Snoopy,

Putting my "Mormon hat on." I might debate that Branham said stuff that happened ... that doesn't make him a Prophet. All people can have a brush with the Holy Spirit and can share what prophetic words they are told. But Brannon isn't a guy in an office with the proper priesthood authority and glaze over before you explain if there is any importance to the audio recordings of him uttering this stuff.

As a Mormon who has become Christian, I would encourage you to expose the Grace of Jesus, encourage them to work through Romans and the other epistles or show them the NT as being the fulfillment of the OT prophecies, ceremonies, etc. The goal IMO is to grow their relationship with Christ and He will direct them where they need to go. They are living under a perversion of the old law. They are missing the benefits that Jesus purchased for them at The Cross. Let them argue against the word. Let them debate Paul. Let them wonder why they carry the NT around with them and don't believe it, don't understand it.

Why is this important? Because from the Christian perspective, what do they gain by going from Mormon to Atheist? ... And that's the most common destination when people leave Mormonism. Mormons Fear God... they feel condemned and a little scared. When they learn that the LDS church is junk, many don't have any desire to be associated with Churches or God. The God of Mormonism isn't all that likeable. If you love God then share what you love about Him. Make them jealous of the relationship you have with Him. Make them want that same kind of thing. If you don't then you are offering another version of the same old trap that they are in ... it just has a new and different mechanism.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:51 am
myself

Yes, all of that.

And........ for LDS, that they don't need anyone to give them permission to get to Christ. LDS believe they have to go through Smith to get to Jesus, even that he has to sign a certificate to say they can get to Jesus.

And....... that their priesthood structure has no authority.

you could read Unveiling Grace by Lynn Wilder and Out of the Cults and into the Church by Janis Hutchinson

Jesus is the real deal. I hope Katherine knows that. I hope you do. :)

richkelsey.org
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:49 am
God of Elves, Seer Stones and a Hat

snoopydaniels wrote:
Greetings everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself. As the topic implies, I'm a non-Mormon with an interest in the spiritual well-being of Mormons and Ex-Mormons alike. A few churches in my area just wrapped up a week-long stint at the local county fair running an outreach tent. On Thursday night, a young lady approached me asking what we were all about, and announced that she was LDS. We had a long and very productive conversation, which continued the next day with another four-hour conversation. By the end, it seemed pretty clear that she was beginning to seriously doubt her beliefs. Her pain was palpable, and we felt horrible for her.

This isn't the first time I've encountered Mormons while out sharing the Gospel, and I thought it was high time that I get a good grip on Mormonism and the history of the Mormon church so as to be better equipped to help them. I already knew quite a bit about Mormonism because I used to listen to Glenn Beck regularly, and this had inspired me to learn more about Mormonism. But my knowledge was still pretty shallow.

I already feel uniquely equipped to help Mormons. In the case of the young lady from the fair (I'll call her Katherine,) an instrumental part of helping her to see the truth was the contrast she saw between Joseph Smith and a true prophet from the early 20th century named William Branham. Unlike Smith, William Branham affirmed the deity of Christ and had literally thousands of fulfilled prophesies to his credit, most of which are recorded, in his own voice, in the form of audio and video. There could not be a more stark contrast between them.

I'm sure the very word "prophet" leaves a bad taste in the mouth of many ex-Mormons (to say the least!,) and yet, prophets are a critical part of the economy of God. Where there is a counterfeit, there is always a real. In this case, seeing the real allowed Katherine to easily identify the counterfeit.

Perhaps this isn't the forum for someone like me, and if so, I'm willing to yield to the rules and moderators of the site. But if there is any way I can be of service, I hope to do so!

Well, William Branham is an interesting character. Yet, my advice is not to build up people's faith in the Christian gospel based on the premise that Branham was a true prophet of God. Because, this is the Internet age; and, with just a couple of clicks, the new convert's faith could be shattered:

About William Branham, Michael Moriarty in The New Charismatics states:

Branham's aberrational teachings not only cultivated cultic fringe movements ..., but they also paved a pathway leading to false predictions, revelatory madness, doctrinal heresies, and a cultic following that treated his sermons as oral Scriptures.

Also:

Hank Hanegraaff in Counterfeit Revival states that Branham's failed prophecies were exceeded only by his false doctrine. — Wikipedia

One thing is certain: William Branham claimed he was the Elijah to come:

“When that Angel, that you see in that picture over there, come down on the river down there that day, thirty years ago come this coming June or thirty-three years ago, rather, this June, and said, “As John the Baptist was sent forth, (before 5,000 people or more) the hour has come when your Message will stray the world” “See, immediately after the coming of THIS Elijah, the earth will be cleansed by hate and the wicked burned to ashes” (THE MESSAGE TO THE LAODICEAN AGE, p.13).

William Branham also claimed he was the seventh angel from the Book of Revelation; and, America would be destroyed in or by 1977.

Personally, I find a Christ centered gospel to be more effective than holding up William Branham as a prophet. Silly me???

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:33 pm
myself

snoopydaniels wrote:
Perhaps this isn't the forum for someone like me,

There is a reason why everybody comes to us. You are welcome here. I will watch the backs of our readers. What is most important is that people are supported to leave the LDS church, and then IF people want to understand about Christ, that that is done in Biblical truth with no add ons.

Christ alone.

We are good at it. You come to a place of experience at this. What would you like to ask us for yourself and for your journey?

richkelsey.org
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:34 pm
God of Elves, Seer Stones and a Hat

Melanie wrote:
snoopydaniels wrote:
Perhaps this isn't the forum for someone like me,

There is a reason why everybody comes to us. You are welcome here. I will watch the backs of our readers. What is most important is that people are supported to leave the LDS church, and then IF people want to understand about Christ, that that is done in Biblical truth with no add ons.

Christ alone.

We are good at it. You come to a place of experience at this. What would you like to ask us for yourself and for your journey?

Melanie!

About 1996, I was watching a program on the public TV station (PBS) on the William Miller movement from the 1830s — 40s. Miller was proclaiming an end of the world on March 21st, 1844. The idea was that Jesus would return and catch up the faithful, then, those left behind would be destroyed by fire.

When Jesus did not return on the first date selected Christ return was changed to October 22, 1844.
Quote:
"When October 22nd came, the Millerites watched and prayed. Many, with white ascension robes on, stood upon rooftops anticipating a heavenly ride. As the midnight hour approached, the faithful were at peace with God. They spent the last hours in quiet solitude:
Softly praying.
Waiting.
Resting.
Standing on the brink of eternity. The summer was over; the harvest was in the barns. It was time for the laborers to reap their rewards. Now was the time to flee from Egypt and enter Canaan’s land.
Now was the time.
Nothing happened on October 22nd, 1844!" (Apocalypse Now? — Rich Kelsey) http://richkelsey.org/apocalypse_now.htm

Well, I had to write about that movement & include a chapter on it in a book I was writing. The first thing I did was call the local Seventh Day Adventist Church, which was formed from the movement, and ask for a scholar to call me. Within minutes I was speaking with a man who started the discussion by saying: "Every sincere Christian believes that William Miller and Ellen White were messengers from God."

At the time, I had never heard of Ellen White. Yet I was suppose to believe that without faith in her & Miller I was not a sincere Christian?

Now, perhaps we can add William Branham to the list?

"In Christ alone my hope is found."

Buddyroe
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:50 pm
Nursery

Please do not compare competing claims of any presumptive modern day prophets. In this case Joseph Smith and William Branham. Both of these men had 3 dimensional lives and were busy in their respective interpretation of the Bible. However there is nothing (absolutely nothing) that ordains either one as a prophet. Please confine your understanding of future events to the established word of God, the Holy Bible, and when you do make sure it is in proper context. If you are in doubt with regards to context please consult the masters of interpretation: 1) the Apostles of Jesus, 2) the early church teachers (Augustine, Clement, Ignatius of Antioch), Origen, Polycarp, Tertullian, and Theophilus: 3) The fathers of the reformation (Luther, Calvin, John Knox, Tyndale, Wycliffe). Beyond that are countless inspired writers (yes many of them were Catholic). In short learn the history of the Church first from the scriptures then from the authentic history.

Too many misguided enthusiasms are inspired by latter day 'anythings' trying to decide for 'their' audience what they have decided is true.

snoopydaniels wrote:

mufasapenny
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:07 pm
Sunbeam

i resigned from the church in july of this year.the whole process took about 2 weeks.i havent been on much lately cause i started a new job.sorry guys.all i can say is i started researching and found this website which saved me.l i started having doubts about 3 months before july.i was only in the church for 2 years but everything seemed different with god and i feel free since i have left. I even had a dream about jesus 2 weeks ago that has impacted me very much.kind of letting me know everything was ok.i have not joined another church and dont feel the desire to either.i dont know if i ever will.i was very angry at all of the things i found out and felt like the church lied to me.i am healing now and my new job has kept me busy but i still pray to my creator.it helps to have the support of everyone on here

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-Mormon Reaching Out to Mormons, Past and Present  |  Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:19 am
God

Hi Penny,

mufasapenny wrote:
i have not joined another church and dont feel the desire to either.i dont know if i ever will

Biblically, "Church" is the body of believers, not some brick building.

When my wife and I left Mormonism, I was looking for the next "one true church", she wisely recommending sitting back and learning truth so we could recognize it. She won and I won out because of it. We didn't attend any organized churches for over a year.

In that time we prayed for good Christian friends and God provided in over-abundance. We found some great teachers and experienced what the earliest churches really were, believers who got together and shared. We encountered disciples who helped to raise up new disciples.

What I've come to believe is that as organizations grow and get regular times and regular place and regulated teaching and regulated doctrine and a building with rent and utility bills and programs ... all of that structure tends to get in way of the free movement of the spirit. That all of that very easily leads to a legalistic system.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17