View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 5:20 pm

junebug2862
Post  Post subject: Hello  |  Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:00 pm
Nursery

I was born into the church, but I haven't really been active in close to 40 years. I was alright with it being in the periphery of my life, largely ignored. My sister is very active. But recently, the stance the church has taken on various issues make it harder and hard to ignore. Plus, I'm becoming more agnostic as I get older. I have been thinking for sometime now to remove myself from the church records. While I think it is a bizarre thing to be concerned about, my biggest question is this: Will my sister be harassed or suffer backlash if I do this? She lives 300 miles from me, but the ward I live in is the ward we grew up in. The church is so important to her life, that regardless of how I feel about it, I don't want her to have any repercussions.

Thanks!

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello  |  Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:14 pm
God

Hi Junebug,

These days I think they keep it pretty private when people resign. Among other things, they don't want people thinking about the people resigning. They prefer that people quietly drift away and don't make a stink about it.

Your resignation letter can make a clear statement that you expect it to be discrete and I think for the most part they will honor that. Only those who are directly involved will likely be notified. When we resigned, the bishop knew, the stake president knew and they had to take actions to remove our home teachers, release us from callings and keep us from getting new callings (we were pretty active before we resigned.). So in all of those cases there is some possible exposure however even a year or so later, we would bump into people who seemed to have no idea we were no longer members, they assumed we must have moved to another ward in the area.

Now your results will be as unique as the people involved, but I think the trend and the intent is to keep it hush. Again, the last thing they want is for members to start looking into reasons why someone might resign. Because of this, I don't see any reason why your sister would find out unless she has some close relationships with some key people in your area.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello  |  Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:09 pm
myself

Hi! :)
msr-confrec@ldschurch.org
Subject: Resignation of membership in LDS church

My full name is ______; my date of birth is ____________ . [I was baptized on ___(date). My membership number is ______.]
My residence address is _______ [in the ________ ward/branch].

I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, effective immediately, and request you to remove my name permanently from your membership records. I wish no further contact from representatives of your church except to confirm that my name has been removed from your records. I expect to receive that confirmation within a reasonably short time.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello  |  Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:46 am
God of Mythbusters

Maybe a better question to ask yourself is: Are YOU going to be happy doing this? That's what really should have the highest priority...YOU. Not her. I'm not trying to sound callous about your relationship with you sister. You can lead by example can't you?

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

junebug2862
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello  |  Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:41 am
Nursery

That is a good question. And one that I've asked myself many times. And the answer is yes. Yes I would be happy. BUT, if I thought that she would be harassed or had any backlash regarding it, I wouldn't do it.

Also, I have no idea the date of my baptism. I know it was in August of 1970, and that's it. And my membership number? No clue. Where would I find that?

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello  |  Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:53 pm
God

Hi Junebug,

Mentally, many members prefer inactive to resign. Inactive means that there is hope. Resigned means that you're damned ... a son of perdition. So she may feel more hurt if she knows you resigned ... angst over your soul ... but really I don't think it's likely that she will get picked on by people because of it. Most likely she won't know unless, like I said before, she's meddling and in contact with people in your area. Like maybe she talks to your bishop and has him spy/check on you.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello  |  Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:27 am
myself

You don't actually need the membership number or any baptismal date (and month and year is good)....you can go ahead with all the rest. It makes it easier for them to identify you in the files so I always recommend sending everything you can BUT absolutely send the email. Sometimes love is tough love, I am 100% with teoma2 here and productofchoice is entirely right.