View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:40 pm

drb
Post  Post subject: Letter written  |  Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:35 pm
Nursery

I joined the church at 18- only member in my family. I have given the church everything I had for 40 years. Typical devoted family: husband and son served missions, leadership callings, TBM husband and children. I have had amazing first-person experiences that have shown me that I needed to get out. I feel that the Good Lord placed these world experts in my path to verify many of my fears and to understand the truth. I am working with my dear husband, with the goal that he not only understands me, but that we will be together forever because of Christ's grace and eternal plan. I am close. I'm in a fairly good place emotionally, and hope to be able to send my letter out soon. I am happy to join this community.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 pm
God

Hi DRB,

Welcome!

Wife and I left Mormonsim ... she got smart before I did and it was stressful for a while. She pushed me to look but not how to look or what to look at. I finally looked and I, like most people who figure it out, spent some time reading and thinking and challenging my assumptions in a quite place where I felt safe. In the end I found my wedge issue and I came out with her.

We both left Mormonism into Christianity. There are really 2 steps there and they can happen in either order. Letting go of Mormonism is one step. The other is in coming to a saving relationship with Christ. You might lead with that relationship and if that's your path, start with a study of Romans and Galatians. Those are great books for presenting Grace.

Lots of other things I can say about that. Feel free to ask questions.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:18 pm
myself

Welcome :-D

Oh, and definitely ask poc. Take it from me, ask him!

joseph's myth
Post  Post subject: Letter written  |  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:46 am
God of Poly-Folly

Hi drb,
Glad to see you look like you found a resting spot. What a long long way to come. We're all here for you. Prayer is possible and both powerful.

Take care, and as POC says, peace.

I say peace, and carry a mighty stick, lol. ;-D

{If you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer ~Stevie Wonder}
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
........................ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944
.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekkkD8HU944

God of Poly-Folly Folly

drb
Post  Post subject: Letter written  |  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:51 pm
Nursery

Thank you all for your encouragement and warm welcome.
I am new to this, and it took days of trying to just get back in, and then to figure out how to make a comment. Read the wrinkles..... ;)

I am enjoying Romans right now, and will read Galatians next; thank you for recommending those books.
"For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ IS the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." (Romans 10: 4-4).

My husband thinks that if I submit my letter, he'll need counseling. He's doing better than a year ago when he left the house and considered committing suicide.
POC: Do you have any literature to recommend to help him feel better about my turning in my letter? He doesn't read - I'd say he doesn't read much, but he really doesn't read. I have shared scriptures with him (on faith and grace), but he has always considered them in the context of the church.

Are you familiar with "Adam's Road?" They have formed a Christian band that helps Mormons grasp the Lord's infinite grace as they leave the church. They tell their story when they visit churches and perform. I loved meeting them. Former missionaries; the whole 9 yards. One was sent home early in shame because he gained a testimony of the grace of our Savior. Their mother was a BYU professor who wrote "Unveiling Grace." They told me to help my husband by helping him understand grace... So far, nothing...

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:35 pm
God

Hi DRB,

The Bible is a great starting place. Consider some additional translations and maybe some online resources like blueletterbible and bible.cc. Sometimes a different translation will help you separate the Mormon verses from the Bible verses. NLT and NIV might be good.

WRT your husband, there are some good videos on MRM.ORG.

Shawn McCraney is a big fan of Adams Road and they have preformed on his show before. You and/or your husband may enjoy his program at heartofthematter.tv.

You might also find that Christian Music might make a difference. k-love is a bigger station and you can listen to them online. Find a few you like and try pandora and check the stations. If you are new to Christian music and want some suggestions, holler. What kind of music do you and/or he like?

Grace is a great point for teaching but in the end, he needs to do his own research too.

More questions are definitely welcome.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

richkelsey.org
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:37 pm
God of Elves, Seer Stones and a Hat

drb wrote:
Thank you all for your encouragement and warm welcome.
I am new to this, and it took days of trying to just get back in, and then to figure out how to make a comment. Read the wrinkles..... ;)

I am enjoying Romans right now, and will read Galatians next; thank you for recommending those books.
"For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ IS the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth." (Romans 10: 4-4).

My husband thinks that if I submit my letter, he'll need counseling. He's doing better than a year ago when he left the house and considered committing suicide.
POC: Do you have any literature to recommend to help him feel better about my turning in my letter? He doesn't read - I'd say he doesn't read much, but he really doesn't read. I have shared scriptures with him (on faith and grace), but he has always considered them in the context of the church.

Are you familiar with "Adam's Road?" They have formed a Christian band that helps Mormons grasp the Lord's infinite grace as they leave the church. They tell their story when they visit churches and perform. I loved meeting them. Former missionaries; the whole 9 yards. One was sent home early in shame because he gained a testimony of the grace of our Savior. Their mother was a BYU professor who wrote "Unveiling Grace." They told me to help my husband by helping him understand grace... So far, nothing...

drb.

I have a work on grace which is easy to understand: http://richkelsey.org/through_the_door.html

Perhaps it will help?

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 am
myself

Yes, Lynn Wilder came to England last year, at the invitation of a friend of mine, Bobby Gilpin, who heads up the work with LDS and JW in England in UK Partnerships for Christ. Oh yes and we know all about Micah.
Bobby gave me a copy of Unveiling Grace and also Out of the Cults and into the Church by Janis Hutchinson. This latter is also excellent and I recommend it very much.

drb
Post  Post subject: Letter written  |  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:05 am
Nursery

Melanie, how wonderful that you have been with Lynn Wilder and know Micah's story! I was blessed that my boss belonged to a tiny church that happened to have a visit from Adam's Road, and she invited me to join her.

I'm going to search "Out of the Cults and into the Church" as soon as I hit the "submit" button. Thanks! :-)

I have just secured an attorney to attach a cover letter emphasizing that this is to be treated with my right to privacy in tack. (only it's better worded) It doesn't cost me anything bc I have a legal plan... I just want to be in control of who I tell.

drb
Post  Post subject: Letter written  |  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:09 am
Nursery

richkelsey, I really enjoyed reading your beautiful work. You have a gift!
Thank you for caring and sharing. Some day when I'm through this phase, I hope to edify and lift others.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 am
myself

Well I did not actually go! It comes to the point where we are all doing it really, living Grace and speaking where we may. But it is still great to have the ''celebrities'' or people that are widely known, carry the message, for the fact is that because of the worthiness standards, LDS respond well to former LDS who have been in influential positions and who have now left. If I had a pound for every time I seem to start a conversation with.....''when I had my Stake calling'' or ''when I spoke at Stake Conference'' etc. Just a couple of weeks ago I was having a conversation with some people and found myself saying...''the standards will not be as high as I am used to living''. Whoops, embarrassing.

All our journeys are different and Grace is a personalised message of love between you and Jesus so you will breathe it and feel it in a very personal way.

For me, although I could write an essay, my bottom line on Grace is that when I don't even know that God exists, He holds me. This is Grace.

I don't know if you know this song,, Guardian by Ben Cantelon. There is a line...''and if I wander''. I always sing...''and when I wander'', because that is my experience. Because of Grace, our chains are broken and He knows where we are and He comes gets us. He came and got you.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 9884,d.ZWU

richkelsey.org
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:10 pm
God of Elves, Seer Stones and a Hat

drb,

I remember the first few years after coming out of the Jehovah's Witness faith, how wonderful it was to learn true Christianity. I'm not speaking of a particular denomination, or creed. I'm speaking of bible based faith.

The truth made me free. And, just like you: I wanted to edify and uplift others.

Wanting to help others get set free just seems like a natural thing to aspire to after coming out of false teaching.

And, that's just it: Perhaps if you and your spouse could go through the lessons together, and your husband could build faith in the reality that Mormonism is based on untruth; then, it may be easier for him to let LDS teachings go and take in a more straightforward gospel.

I believe my work on Joseph's Smith's First Vision would be a good place to start: http://richkelsey.org/joseph_smith's_first_vision.htm

Or the one about the Book of Mormon.

This following one is quite long, but it has an interesting approach because the reader is asked to step into the juror's box and view the evidence presented in a trial like setting.

Joseph Smith on Trial.
Link: http://richkelsey.org/an_incredible_story_part_iii.htm

I hope you can study these things out together.

Rich Kelsey

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:42 pm
God

Hi DRB,

You might consider the Romans Challenge from MRM.org:
http://www.mrm.org/romans-road

It's an interesting study on the book of Romans which is often considered the book for laying out Christianity.

Peace

elconquistador
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:08 pm
Sunbeam

Glad to see you are going to escape the snake of mormon culture. Fair travels friend!

drb
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:36 pm
Nursery

Letter sent last week.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 am
myself

:greetings-clappingyellow: Congrats!

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:34 pm
God of Mythbusters

Hey drb, two books come to mind: "Leaving the Fold" and "Recovering Agency: Lifting the Veil of Mormon Mind Control".

Both emancipating!

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

drb
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:28 pm
Nursery

teoma2, I looked up the second book you mentioned. It allows one to read quite a few pages, and the table of contents. She is THOROUGH!! And it was written just before Kelly's excommunication.

Thank you for suggesting them!
Just when I think "Great! Check! Done! Time to move on!"
another phase appears. Time to tell the most angry-reacting adult children...

kgdmwork
Post  Post subject: Re: Letter written  |  Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:23 pm
Priest

drb wrote:

What's most important is that you have a relationship with Christ. A close, personal relationship with Him as God and Savior. You don't need to expect your husband to reach your understanding quickly, especially if he is not reading scripture. Reading scripture is the key to understanding the false traditions in the LDS Church that lead you away from the Lord rather than bring you toward Him. Anyway, be patient with your husband. Support him if he wants to attend church. Tell him you only want to know the love of Christ and trust in the word of the Lord. Eventually, he may decide that his relationship with Christ is not being fed sufficiently by attendance at the LDS Church, but, in the meantime, I think it would be wise just to encourage him to read his scriptures.

I have had many discussions with my sister, who does read the scriptures, and she gets it. She understands how people like to build up their own houses instead of building the house of the Lord. She is not at all someone who would go against what the Lord has to say, but she recognizes the difference between when men are claiming something and when it's backed up by scripture. She wants to teach her children to follow the Lord. She still attends the LDS church. I don't. I think it's fine for her to attend church, because she cares more about the word of God than about what people say.

drb
Post  Post subject: Should I be baptized?  |  Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:47 pm
Nursery

I was baptized in the Episcopalian church at 8 months, accepted Christ in high school,was baptized in LDS church at age 18, When I joined the church. Now that I am legally a non-member, what are your thoughts about baptism? Should I be baptized (again)? I am looking at a specific new Christian community...