View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:14 pm

asfder
Post  Post subject: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:58 pm
CTR B

Yo, my name is Charli. I wanted to post my leaving story and this seems to be the place for it.
So, I began to lose faith at my "worthiness interview" when I was 8. ( at the time, My bishop was a child psychologist, which I think is kinda funny in light of the huge backlash "the Church" is getting for not making sure their clergy has some kind of child care/emotional training. Exceptions to every rule, right?)
The interview is one of about 3 memories I have of my early indoctrination, and it is the clearest. the question that started it was this one "Have you memorized the gospel standards?"
I don't know how many of you would remember, "The Gospel Standards" was a yellow or purple poster with several church teachings printed on it. Every single Mormon child was supposed to have one, and they were supposed to hang it next to their temple poster. The problem was, this little Mollie Mormon hadn't bothered to even read the whole thing through, much less memorize it. But I had to get baptized to please my TBM parents, so I did the only thing I could: lied. "Yes Bishop, of course I memorized it."
I thought that since the bishop was "appointed by God," he would know. he would at least ask me if I was sure, would call me out on my lie. But he never did. My baptism went off, though not without a hitch. And no one ever found out. Of course, it only got worse as I got older: I started questioning, started getting on the internet and researching. When I found Mormon curtain, I finally found an outlet, a safe place to express doubts. It is amazing! as a few of you already know, I still have to be at least marginally "active" meaning that I have to attend the 3 hour block and YW meetings, so I'll probably end up posting a heck of a lot. Hopefully, that won't bother anyone, though from what I've seen everyone should be nice enough to be at least OK with it. anyway, I can't wait to get to know everybody some more! :-)

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:45 pm
myself

:)

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:36 am
God

Hi Charli,

It might be fun to ask some of those hard questions from time to time in those meetings. Of course doing so will stir the pot and might bring you more trouble than you really want and might expose who your friends are or limit you access to your friends so choose wisely.

"A friend of mine said that the Book of Mormons has been changed since it was first written. Do you know of a resource to help me with that?"

"A friend of mine asked how many wives Joseph Smith had and I said one and he said no, Joseph practiced polygamy. Is this true? Who else was he married to? Are we going to have to practice polygamy in heaven?"

"Where in the Book of Mormon does it talk about elephants?"

"A friend said that the Book of Abraham scrolls were found. Isn't it awesome that we now have proof that Joseph could translate. Can we see them?"

Isn't it good to be among friends?

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

asfder
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:48 pm
CTR B

Hm, my plotting senses are tingling. It's kind of ironic, I have been reading more Mormon stuff now, whilst in the process of leaving, than I ever did while actually practicing. It's try to laugh at as much of it as possible, since the other alternative is despair for the fates of my sisters. literal sisters, not the church kind. E is 13, and she's smart, so I don't understand why she refuses to accept any evidence that contradicts church teachings. L is only 8, also smart but to young to disagree with my mom's world view yet. hopefully she will once she's older. My mom converted the weekend that her father died, and I don't think she'll ever leave, at least not unless someone helps her through the emotionally trauma involved. I would, but she's probably going to be too angry to ask once I go. She converted the weekend that her father died, which resulted in A) a huge emotional attachment to "the Church" and B) a huge amount of disgust on my part. what kind of monsters prey on the emotionally unstable that way? it's sick!!

asfder
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:29 pm
CTR B

found that poster!! as well as facilitating the main reason I left, it's a great example of how the Mor(m)ons start intense indoctrinization very early- this is meant for children between about 6 and 10 years old, and you hear about it even earlier if you have older, already baptized siblings. I know mine did!
https://www.lds.org/liahona/2004/10/my- ... s?lang=eng
:sick:

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:17 am
God

asdfer,

I think it's interesting that these pledges ... who keeps them? They are another incarnation of the sacrament promises which every person who takes it breaks them every week. It's an impossible pledge. Why not pledge to something you actually can do? Or something you intend to do?

I desire to learn of and follow Heavenly Fathers plan for me.
I am learning to listen to the HS and follow His promptings as mentioned at baptism.
I try to choose better but when I don't make good choices, I know I can repent and try and make my mistakes better.
I seek courage to be honest with everybody and when tempted to lie, I seek to see the big picture instead of the short term gains.
I desire to use respectful language.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

hagepooh38
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:13 pm
CTR A

Hello and welcome to the group. I'm new here too.

I never made it past deacon growing up in the church. I took the long painful route of open opposition growing up. That may not have been the best road to take in hindsight. Still, I always felt like it was impossilbe to hide what I was thinking in the church. I felt like other mormons could use a sixth sense to "smell" free thinkers so I just sort of bulldozed my way through it all.

However, there are a lot of people here with experience in helping so at least you're in the right place. Best of luck to you!

"Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind." - Colossians 2:18

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23

asfder
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:23 pm
CTR B

hello! nice to meet you too! sorry I took so long to reply, mom's been really on my case about church lately and if she saw me on this page she's flip out. it's good to meet so many people who've survived and thrived!

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:27 pm
God of Mythbusters

Hey There! Hagepooh38 & Asfder, welcome to the forums! And yes, do be prepared to thrive once the dust settles.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

asfder
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:39 pm
CTR B

It's kind of ironic, i've actually been reading more church propaganda in the process of deciding to leave than when i was practicing. the whole "there is no life beyond mormonism" is the first thing to fall apart.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Hello! neglected to post an intro, thought I should.  |  Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:52 am
God

I also found all things LDS interesting as I was transitioning. Maybe it was part of making sure I was making the right decision.

Peace