View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:49 pm

jmyers
Post  Post subject: Praise the Lord, I am free.  |  Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 am
Nursery

After almost 35 years in the LD$ church, I no longer call myself a Mormon. I moved to Western North Carolina recently, and have decided to use the opportunity to sever ties with the church completely. I have been attending services at United Methodist churches since January, and have no desire to interact with the LD$ church on any level. I made a major step today by throwing all church literature, BOM, and Joseph Smith contaminated bibles into the dumpster. I plan to become an official member of the United Methodist Church next month, and will have my name formally removed from the LD$ records.
I have some general questions about my baptism, and if I need to have my 2 year old daughter's name removed from the LD$ records (she was blessed as an infant, but obviously never baptized).
Thank you all for your support in this trying time.

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Praise the Lord, I am free.  |  Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 am
myself

:text-welcomeconfetti: Congratulations and welcome to the forums.

People will be here for you every step of the way.

Definitely resign. I am not sure about your 2 year old but others will be.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Praise the Lord, I am free.  |  Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:13 pm
God

Welcome JMyers,

I'm in central NC. :)

Congrats for getting out.

WRT your daughter, I recommend putting her info on your resignation form and just cover your bases.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

jmyers
Post  Post subject: Re: Praise the Lord, I am free.  |  Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:44 am
Nursery

Thank you guys. I'm drafting my official resignation now. It is helpful to have this outlet. My wife is a non-member, and doesn't really understand what I am going through. I have ancestors that left Nauvoo right behind Brigham Young. My Great Granddad was a Stake President, my Grandpa was the Stake Patriarch, and my Dad served as first councilor after graduating from BYU. LD$ has been in our family as long there has been a church, so this has been a big deal for me.
A few months ago I looked into the abomination known as "the Book of Abraham", and started to look into the Joseph Smith translations. The guy wrote himself into the Book of Exodus, for goodness' sakes ! I just cant be a part of an organization that requires you to ignore basic logic. I have kids now, and I cant raise them in the LD$ church. It has just been so hard to turn my back on the LD$ with my family history.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Praise the Lord, I am free.  |  Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:25 pm
God

jmyers,

Book of Abraham is a big problem for the LDS. You've got to do some incredible apologitic backbends to continue to accept if now that the actual scrolls have been found.

WRT the church. If the people are really your friends and if they really love you then they will stick with you ... possibly with the caviot that you don't talk about things that the other finds hurtful. But if they are really just acquaintances then the bond isn't strong enough to bridge the distance caused by you no longer attending the same church. My experience is that most were really just acquaintances and friends of convenience. It's painful to realize that but then sometimes the truth hurts. Maybe it's like learning that most of your friends on facebook are really something less that true friends.

I think about the hometeaching program where you act like friends to another family and maybe a real friendship grows and maybe it doesnt. I think about people I work with who have moved on to other jobs in the company or have left the company and how it changes that relationship. I think about all of the people in highschool or college who were so important back then but whom I don't communicate with anymore. It's like that for many LDS "Friends" too.

Anway, it's a tough to realize. Don't let the loss of fake or superficial friends hurt you too much. If you do loose some real friends over this ... I'm sorry.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Praise the Lord, I am free.  |  Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Congratulations, Jmyers.
I hope Methodism works well for you.
And you for it!
Finding one's spiritual self is so much easier and straightforward
than toeing the line on a boatload of irrelevant rules
and "obeying the prophet".

jmyers
Post  Post subject: Re: Praise the Lord, I am free.  |  Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:36 am
Nursery

Friends aren't an issue, productofchoice. As an Ld$ member, I enjoyed weekly fishing trips with 3-4 other members. When word got out that I was attending Methodist Services, I never heard from 3 of them ever again! The 4th slipped into obscurity over the course of the last few months. He invited us over for dinner once, and when we arrived....the missionaries were there, too! After that, I never saw him again. Anyway, I don't blame these guys. They have families, jobs, kids, scouts, and callings. When you juggle all these things, there just isn't really enough time to hang with anyone outside the circle. I think that's the way the LD$ wants it.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Praise the Lord, I am free.  |  Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:32 am
God

jmyers wrote:
... Anyway, I don't blame these guys. They have families, jobs, kids, scouts, and callings. When you juggle all these things, there just isn't really enough time to hang with anyone outside the circle. I think that's the way the LD$ wants it.

I agree.

Somewhere at the top I think there is a very corrupt group that wants members working ($) and serving (free work) and procreating (future $ and work). Keeping them busy (no time to look) and scared (afraid to look) and proud (why look anyway) in hopes of reducing attrition. Because if you know it's a lie and you propogate that lie you have to fear the day when that lie is exposed. Best launder some of that $ and stash it away for after the crash.

Peace