View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:16 am

Gabriel
Post  Post subject: Ready to bail . . .  |  Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Nursery

I came to know the church wasn't true in an attempt to answer questions that my wife (who had been "anti'd") had asked me. Sadly, I lost my testimony reading the Journal of Discourses. I am a former Deacons & Teacher's QP, AP on my mission, and EQP. It took all of 2 weeks to go from active, temple-attending, tithing payer to having lost my testimony completely and gaining insight into church history that infuriates and disgusts me. My wife is thrilled : )

I made the following comment to her this week, that I retrospectively find humorous - "I want to leave the church before leaving the church becomes cool." What I meant is that it seems like there is/will be a mass exodus as more members discover the truth and I don't want to wait until it's 'easy' to leave. I feel compelled by the truth to act...an ironically Mormon thing to do.

Anyone else feel that way?

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Ready to bail . . .  |  Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:50 am
God of Mythbusters

You're right on the idea Gabriel. And while you're at it, look for a shirt or bumper sticker that indicates: "NO I'm not LD$, I have an education."

And wear it with the pride you know you deserve, because of that education.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Ready to bail . . .  |  Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:36 am
God

Hi Gabriel,

Welcome!

I too was defending the church and my wife as the one feeding me the hard questions and my wedge issue was the changes to the Book of Commandments as it morphed into the D&C ... so pretty similar.

We quit attending because we were fighting the current raising kids.

We resigned in some ways out of a blend of fear and conviction. We were done and knew it was false and we had our own new christian faith. So from conviction we wants to have nothing to do with LDS but in honesty, we ( I? ) didn't want to be taken to LDS Court or such and get labeled. So we resigned.

Anyway, I'm glad to meet you and no, you're not alone and you might have left at a time when leaving was more popular than you were lead to believe it is.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Gabriel
Post  Post subject: Re: Ready to bail . . .  |  Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:21 am
Nursery

Thank you. You do make a good point about leaving being more popular now. I think about Fawn Brodie and how much courage it must have taken for a female member with close ties to the prophet to do what she did. Now THAT was brave.

I wish I had faith in something - I don't know what I believe now. I want to remain a Christian, but its all up in the air for me at this point. I'm envious that you have it.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Ready to bail . . .  |  Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:24 pm
myself

Wanting it is a very good place to be in.
A very good springboard.

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Ready to bail . . .  |  Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:13 pm

I am sorry for your disappointment, Gabriel,
in discovering that what you had trusted so strongly,
turned out to be a sheepskin over a lot of bull.
It can be tough, that realization and decision to leave.
I think future disappointments cannot be as earthshattering and great
as the disappointment in discovering that alleged prophets and apostles to not "true".