View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Antonymous
Post  Post subject: UK Ex  |  Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:03 pm
Nursery

I have been out of Mormonism for about a year. My one regret is how entrenched my dad is. He struggles to understand why I have left Mormonism and believes I will return one day. He is 75 and he is the one reason I haven't resigned yet. It galls me that the Corp will happily take 10% of his meagre pension to help them build malls and apartment building.
Like many ex-mos, I have travelled the logic path to atheism and am currently very happy there. I know there is a spiritual aspect to life, but do not believe that religion in any form has anything to do with this.
I look forward to informed debate, friendship and fun.

newname
Post  Post subject: Re: UK Ex  |  Posted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:09 pm
Nursery

Cheers Antonymous. Great to see you here!

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: UK Ex  |  Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:54 am
God of Mythbusters

Another one out, how nice! Welcome here.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: UK Ex  |  Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:26 am
God

Welcome Antonymous,

My dad/mom are much the same way. Maybe like I was, they are scared to risk all that has been devoted to the church in investigating whether it's really true or not.

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: UK Ex  |  Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:08 am

Antonymous wrote:
Like many ex-mos, I have travelled the logic path to atheism and am currently very happy there. I know there is a spiritual aspect to life, but do not believe that religion in any form has anything to do with this.
I look forward to informed debate, friendship and fun.
Fascinating way to put it. You have helped expand my mind. You are not absolutely "anti-some-abstract-or-nonmaterial-essence" but "unaccepting-of-unbendingly-fossilized-belief-system," it sounds like. I am a "theist" but, like you, I believe that the spiritual aspect to life is something more profound than the limited tenets of common, or populist, and compromised ex cathedra declarations. :)

I think you will readily find friendship here, and a fun that wavers between toned-down to tone-deafening. :D And debate, too, ranges from details on shared opinions, to the occasional "Attack of the Mormonites". ;)

Riverwatch
Post  Post subject: Re: UK Ex  |  Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:24 pm
Nursery

It sounds like you have your head on straight.
I do encourage you to be up-front with your dad. He deserves that and he actually can handle the "bad news" .
I do a blog on aging......and post Mormonism..... and since I am 70 and a nurse, I would encourage you to be honest with your dad.
As one psychologist told us in a seminar, "It was not the camping trip so much that bonded you together, it was the next of mosquitoes you all ran into! The aggravation turns out to be the super-glue that bonds us."
At least give your dad the chance to throw a brick at you before he dies. It is ok. As an aging person I can assure you we aren't that fragile!
Your dad, or you, might like to follow my blog at http://www.unearthlylanding.blogspot.com
Best of wishes,
Riverwatch
I am so grateful I am no longer Mormon!

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: UK Ex  |  Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:06 pm

It seems some people cannot change. I have gotten in contact with friends from many years ago. They are 100% Mormons still. It amazes me that they have not learned anything beyond the Party Line. It's okay, if that's what they want. But if they had read outside the lines, I think they would not want it. My Mother stayed Mormon the longest. The rest of us left Mormonism behind. I always "respected" her choice and helped her with attending church and so on. Now she, too, is giving up with the Mormon Church. But she is even older than 75.

Until they decide for themselves to leave, we just have to accept that that is what they believe in, and roll with it. I've done that for so long. But it's still a big relief not to have to do it any longer, to know that my Mom is no longer a tool of that organization.