View unanswered posts
View active topics
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:11 pm

Cliftonwebb
Post  Post subject: Heavenly Mother  |  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:17 pm
Nursery

I have been asking various boards this question. I recently did a painting series about it. http://shellwhiting.blogspot.com/2014/01/blog-post.html
I didn't learn about it until I was 20. An ex mormon on the bus told me about the heavenly mother and that even a song was about her. Why is she a figure that really known? I think it would be a really cool idea to have a brave maternal sort of figure women could look up to. What are your opinions?
Thanks

Wm.Law
Post  Post subject: Re: Heavenly Mother  |  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 am
1st Counselor Bishopric

Cliftonwebb wrote:
I have been asking various boards this question. I recently did a painting series about it. http://shellwhiting.blogspot.com/2014/01/blog-post.html
I didn't learn about it until I was 20. An ex mormon on the bus told me about the heavenly mother and that even a song was about her. Why is she a figure that really known? I think it would be a really cool idea to have a brave maternal sort of figure women could look up to. What are your opinions?
Thanks
Other than the men-centered nature of Mormonism, the other problem with identifying a heavenly mother is that there is not just one. Which one of god's wives should be granted honor?

And if I die tonight, Would it all make sense?
And if I die tonight, Would the wind chip away at my soul forever?
"Goodbye Tonight"
Seether Isolate and Medicate

MollyNoMo
Post  Post subject: Re: Heavenly Mother  |  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:43 am
Nursery

Based on my perception of how mormon doctrine evolves, I think it's most likely that heavenly mother came about because of the doctrine about deification. People started teaching that men will become gods, and they need to work the man's ever-faithful wife into the equation. In the temple the woman promises to obey her husband for all eternity, so they need to address that women are there in heaven. I think when heavenly mother is mentioned, it's to attempt continuity between the doctrine that god was once a man, and he must have married and had children to qualify for the celestial kingdom just like us, so it would follow that he has a wife. It also has to do with what people expect to be doing in the celestial kingdom. Mormons are taught that when they get there, the men will be gods creating worlds, and the women will be having countless spirit children to send down to the worlds (since this is the doctrine of our existence on Earth, it is a perpetual cycle.) So in my opinion, the mormon heavenly mother is really not a powerful deity figure, she is a symbol of how mortal women are trained to think that having babies is the most important thing and then they're trained to think that they'll spend all of eternity doing that. To me she represents oppression more than dignity.

MollyNoMo

Melanie
Post  Post subject: Re: Heavenly Mother  |  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:17 am
myself

According to LDS doctrine, heavenly father was once a man. These heavenly mothers are polygamous women who happen to be sealed to him, mostly in the afterlife. Celestial Polygamy is at the very heart of the doctrine. They don't like to talk about that. It is not about it being sacred, it is because the doctrine all starts to unravel when you look at this and you see the contrast between lds construction and Biblical truth about the nature of God. She/ They do not exist, she/they are made up. So I personally think your question is examining a chip on a stone, whereas the real concentration should be on smashing the stone to pieces. I hope your interest in this will help you to find your way out.

The hymn, by the way, only alludes to a singular heavenly mother which is a deception in itself and she is only mentioned in one line, it just says I am looking forward to meeting you when I get to heaven and it says that heavenly father must have a wife because parents are not single on earth.

productofchoice
Post  Post subject: Re: Heavenly Mother  |  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:42 am
God

Mormonthink has some related quotes on Heavenly Mother:
http://mormonthink.com/QUOTES/heavenly.htm

but maybe my favorite quote on it is from Brigham Young:
Prophet Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, v. 1, p. 51 wrote:
Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken – He is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do. Every man upon the earth, professing Christians or non-professing, must hear it, and will know it sooner or later!

Peace

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad." - Luke 8:17

Abinadi
Post  Post subject: Re: Heavenly Mother  |  Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:32 pm

In case someone might think the fallible prophet (or is he infallible after all?) Brigham Young was only asserting his own finite, mistaken "opinion," he has this to say about those words he spoke:
Quote:
I could tell you much more about this; but were I to tell you the whole truth, blasphemy would be nothing to it, in the estimation of the superstitious and overrighteous of mankind. However, I have told you the truth as far as I have gone.
Young undoubtedly had many opinions. That, I do not dispute. However, I do dispute that anything relevant to Adam and Eve, God and his wives, occurring in this sermon, was given as mere opinion. Young clearly and boldly labels it "truth." Anyway, if we were to reject that as merely his opinion, at what point do we set our surgical knife, to divide the unopinionated truth from that merely untruthful opinion?

His other statements, linked inextricably to that of his wives, include:
"He helped to make and organize this world."
"He is Michael, the Archangel, the Ancient of Days."
"They came here, organized the raw material, and arranged in their order the herbs of the field, the trees, the apple, the peach, the plum, the pear, and every other fruit that is desirable and good for man; the seed was brought from another sphere, and planted in this earth."
"When Adam and Eve had eaten of the forbidden fruit, their bodies became mortal from its effects, and therefore their offspring were mortal."
"When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost."
"It is true that the earth was organized by three distinct characters, namely, Eloheim, Yahovah, and Michael, these three forming a quorum, as in all heavenly bodies, and in organizing element, perfectly represented in the Deity, as Father, Son, and Holy Ghost." (Please don't tell me I was taught wrongly in the Temple itself!

Finally, before you reject these sweet, eternal doctrines uttered by the lips of the holy prophet himself, hearken to what he says about such as who do reject these unalterable Truths:
"Now, let all who may hear these doctrines, pause before they make light of them, or treat them with indifference, for they will prove their salvation or damnation."
Call them "his personal opinion" at your own peril, for if you do, "they will prove [your] salvation or damnation"!

Where, pray, is the dividing line between "truth" and fancy?
I am asking Mormons.

teoma2
Post  Post subject: Re: Heavenly Mother  |  Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:24 am
God of Mythbusters

Nothing like an honest question, waiting for an honest answer. And all we hear are the sounds of silence.

"Just because you think, feel, or believe something is true, doesn't make it true!"

"The doubt of your faith, is not God testing you, but truth trying to emerge and free you."